Governor Objects to Vikings Stadium Seat Licenses

Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton is opposing the Minnesota Vikings owners' proposed "seat licenses" for fans, the Pioneer Press reported.

Dayton wrote a strongly worded letter to the team owners objecting to the proposal to pass on a portion of the stadium's $975 million cost to fans. The plan would charge seat-licensing fees in exchange for premier seating choices.

"I strongly oppose shifting any part of the team's responsibility for those costs onto Minnesota Vikings fans," he said in his letter. "This private contribution is your responsibility, not theirs. I said this new stadium would be a 'People's Stadium,' not a 'Rich People's Stadium.' I meant it then, and I mean it now."

The team owners responded, saying that seat licensing had been included in the final agreement passed by the Legislature, according to the Star Tribune.

Team owners and local officials are already dealing with a tight deadline, and in addition, some Twin Cities lawmakers skeptical of the stadium plan taking over legislative leadership positions in January.