WRAPPING UP THE SEMESTER...

As we get underway with conferences on your Final Papers this week, just a couple of reminders:

If you haven't yet scheduled a conference, you should stop by my office as soon as you can to sign up for a time. I will be having open office hours from 1-4 on Friday, too, but on a first come, first served basis.

Tuesday, December 11 is our last "official" day of class, but we won't be meeting as a large group. Instead, I'll be available in my office (380 Appleby) for last minute consultation and questions on your paper.

Your Final Paper is due on Thursday, December 13, by noon, at my office. I'll have a box available for you to leave your Paper if I'm not there.

Thanks for all your hard work this semester, and I look forward to talking with you more about your Final Papers (and reading them, too!)

Gary

WEEK ELEVEN UPDATE

Today in class, in addition to looking at the work of Raymond Carver, I did a brief overview on using the library web site for research to help get you started on your research for the Final Paper (a link to the guidelines for that assignment is below, in case you need another copy).

Also, I realized that our last "official" day of class is Tuesday, December 11, not Thursday, December 13, as indicated on the schedule. With conferences, that means that our last day meeting as a "big" class will be Thursday, November 29, with conferences to follow the following week. As originally planned, December 11 will remain an "optional" day if you want to meet with me during our regular class period one more time before you hand in your paper. Also, as originally planned, your Final Paper will be due on Thursday, December 13 by 12 noon in my office. If you have any questions about the schedule, please let me know.

FINAL PAPER GUIDELINES
Download file

WEEKS EIGHT AND NINE

Now that we've wrapped up "The Crucible," we'll be moving on to some more writers of the contemporary period (1945 to the present). For Tuesday, November 6, you should read James Baldwin's "Sonny's Blues" (2194-2215). While this story isn't necessarily dificult to read, it is "dense" -- take your time with it.

Also, we'll be hearing from Group 8 on Thursday, November 8, when we talk about some "war-related" stories and poems.

Finally, your Mid-Term Paper is due Tuesday, November 6!

WEEKS SIX AND SEVEN

Next week I'll be meeting with everyone in individual conferences. If you haven't signed up for a time, you should get in touch with me as soon as you can so we can arrange a meeting. You should bring the first draft of your Mid-Term Paper to your conference, along with any questions, comments, or concerns you have about the paper (or the class in general). In case you need them, the guidelines for the Paper are posted below.

Some other reminders:

1. Read The Crucible.

2. See the University Theatre production of The Crucible (it opens next weekend).

3. No class on Tuesday, October 30 in exchange for attending the play.

4. We're back in class on Thursday, November 1, when we'll be discussing the play and Response #7 on the play is due.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone next week!

MID-TERM PAPER GUIDELINES Download file

WEEK FIVE

As we launch into the Modern period, a couple of reminders that were announced in class:

This Thursday we will be discussing Langston Hughes instead of Fitzgerald; we'll tackle Fitzgerald the following Tuesday (in other words, switch the two).

I would very much like you to attend the University Theatre's production of The Crucible, which will be playing from October 26 through November 3 at Rarig Center on the West Bank, since it is one of our assigned readings later this month. Seeing the performance will greatly enhance your understanding and apprecation of the play (not to mention our class discussions), though of course you should read the play AND see it performed! In exchange for your attendance, we will NOT have class on Oct. 30, and I've moved the due date for the Mid-term Paper to Tuesday, November 6. Also, I'd like you to focus Response Paper #7 on your reactions to the play. You can find more information about the University Theatre, including ticket information, at

http://events.tc.umn.edu/event.xml?occurrence=403580

In the meantime, I look forward to hearing from Group 6 (Logan, Dominic, and Joe) on Sherwood Anderson's work on Tuesday.

Have a great weekend.

WEEK FOUR

Now that we've wrapped up our quick look at literature post-Civil War through the turn of the century, some reminders:

* Group 2 will be helping us figure out what's going in Susan Glaspell's Trifles, when we meet on Tuesday;

* Response Paper #2 rewrites are due on Tuesday;

* Response Paper #3 is due on Thursday;

* All of the readings for Tuesday (10/2) through Thursday (10/18) are in Volume D of the Heath anthology.

From now on, you'll be writing only one draft of your Response Papers, which will be collected on the dates noted in the yellow schedule (every Thursday). I'm hoping that my comments on Response Papers #1 and #2 will help you get a better idea of how to write an effective paper. If you have questions about your work after I return it to you, I really encourage you to visit me during office hours and I'd be happy to offer more feedback and explanation.

WEEK THREE

As we end week three with CP Gilman and consider some of the other important women writers of the period next week, a couple of reminders:

* You have until Tuesday to rewrite Response Paper #1 and turn it in for grading. I hope to return drafts of Response Paper #2 on Tuesday, if you indicated that you want to revise it, with those papers due the following Tuesday for grading. Response Paper #3 will be due next Thursday.

* Group 4 is up to help get discussion up and running on Tuesday. Group 4 is Linnea, Dave, Marina, and Matt. We look forward to hearing from you!

WEEK TWO

Just a quick reminder about a slight change in the reading assignments for Thursday, September 13:

You should read "The Open Boat," a short story by Stephen Crane, as well as the poems "A Man Said to the Universe," "A Newspapers Is a Collection of Half-Injustices," and "There was a Man with Tongue of Wood," three poems by Crane. You don't need to read "A Mystery of Heroism."

Also, you should bring a rough draft of your Response Paper #1, and be ready to talk about your draft with a classmate.

END OF WEEK ONE

As we wrap up our first week together, some important info about books (that I also e-mailed you about earlier today) -- contrary to what I was told yesterday, the Heath Anthology (our textbook) is currently out of stock in the Coffman bookstore. I'm hoping most of you have already purchased the book, but in case you haven't, I've placed copies of the readings for our next class (Tuesday) on a chair outside my office (380 Appleby). Let's hope the books arrive soon!

You'll also find below links to the handouts I distributed today. If you were in class and received them, great -- no need to download them. I put them here in case you miss class or lose a handout, and that way you don't have to wait to get a copy from me.

Thanks for your work and great participation so far!

DOING CLOSE READING Download file

HOW TO READ A POEM Download file

GRADING RESPONSE PAPERS Download file

WELCOME!

Welcome to the 1365W blog for Gary's class. The purpose of the blog is to provide a way to share information about what's happening in class, including links to handouts in case you miss class, summaries of what we've been talking about, questions to think about as you read and write, and other announcements (for example, changes in assignments, last minute class cancellations should that be necessary, etc.) I strongly encourage you to check the blog frequently! I also have created a class e-mail list so I can be in touch with everyone for important announcements and reminders.

For now, below are links to the course syllabus and schedule. You'll be receiving hard copies of these important handouts in class, but if you should need another copy, here's a place to find them.

I'm looking forward to meeting and working with all of you and to a fun and challenging semester!

COURSE SYLLABUS Download file

COURSE SCHEDULE Download file