Reflection on the Class as a Whole

I wanted to take this last blog post to reflect on the class as a whole. I think this was a very interesting class, and I'm glad I took it. I've learned so much not just about the history of the GLBT movement, but also have learned much about the theory behind social movements. I think the former is important to know (for if you don't know where you've come from, how will you know where you're going?), as well as the latter: we must be aware of criticisms of our strategies, for how else will we improve them?

I admit I was nervous about the service learning aspect of the class. I worried it would take too much time, or that I would get stuck with an unsatisfactory organization. However, I think it is an important aspect of this class. Much of what I've learned from class time and class readings would not have had as much of an impact if I hadn't been able to connect that to a "real life" experience. I think, also, the service learning component of this class makes that important link from theory to praxis, which is often left by the wayside in classes, as we tend to focus on theory.

Finally, I think the people in this class have been great. It's been a pleasure to work with all of you, and I will sincerely miss you after this semester. Thank you all for making this class great!

Love,
Nyssa