« Research on Tim Hawkinson, by Jacquilyn Weaver | Main | Artist Kara Walker »

"Journeys to Nowhere" at the Walker- visited by Jacquilyn Weaver

A JOURNEY THAT WASNT_582x0.jpg

huyghe-024.JPG

1. This was a group exhibition that included nine works of art. Seemingly unrelated at first glance, a few of the artists and their works included Joseph Cornell’s�Andromeda� (Sand Fountain), Gabriel Orozco’s “Piedra que Cede� (Yielding Stone) and Rivane Neuenschwander’s “Carta Famita� (starving Letter). There were sculptures, film, and for a lack of a better term, “wall hangings,� that revealed the expressions of stone and water. Arranged in one room, hung an expressionist painting of the ocean, a single stone on the floor next to a box with sweating rocks, various sand works, and caterpillar-eaten rice paper. In a separate theater room, a film that incorporated different forms of expression was of highest interest for me.

2. I suppose that the theme of the exhibition would be “Journeys to Nowhere,� and could best be understood through the film, the sand fountain, the depth of the ocean, and the starving letter pieces. I’m made aware of this theme upon seeing an hour glass seemingly suspended in time with sand anxiously awaiting its fall, the desperation of snails resorting to rice paper for nutrition and the parallel of a starving society, the idea of endlessly traveling down into the ocean and the wonder if anything actually exists that’s worth exploring. These works, namely “Carta Famita,� remind me of Hubert Dupart’s “Trichopterae� where a caddisfly collaborated in the creation of beautiful and poetic art. All that this artist had to do was leave paper for snails, and then frame them—Very similar to leaving material for flies and then taking pictures.

3. The film entitled, “A Journey That Wasn’t,� created by Pierre Huyghe in 2006 was a truly poetic, creative and very much fulfilling experience. Shown on a very big screen, the landscapes and emotions captured were by no means belittled. This film documented the journey several people took, setting sail from Argentina to the southernmost part of the Arctic Circle, to locate an unnamed island that had been revealed due to global climate change. They were on a mission to discover rare eco systems, unique flora, and an albino penguin! The experience they had was then translated into a topographical description of the landscape through a symphony orchestra. The film included takes from their actual journey and takes from a show they put on upon return to civilization.

4. I can’t think of anyone that I wouldn’t recommend this piece of art to. It was a beautiful experience that had multiple layers of interest. Because it is a collaborative piece that encompasses different forms of expression that are so nicely meshed together into one cohesive piece. I think anyone interested in film, music, adventure, nature, visual art, and mystery would love it.