« Journey to Nowhere Kate Monson | Main | Hindsight is Always 20/20 »

Emily Burchell Gallery Visit Assignment

The exhibition I went to was "Millions of Innocent Accidents" by Hardland/Heartland and "Unconventional Wisdom" by Mike Elko and Ruthann Godollei at the MEAP Galleries, Minneapolis Institute of Arts.
From my gatherings, the exhibition was a group exhibition. It was titled by one person but more than one name appeared in the works throughout the entire exhibition. The media which were used were paints, newspapers, digital imaging and screen printing, charcoal, household objects, random materials and objects not specified, sound systems, wood, and visual projectors/TV's. The exhibition was arranged sort of in a random order but most of the artists were grouped together by similar authors.

The main theme which I gathered from the exhibit was graphic arts combined with a black humor featuring a combination of war, politics, corruption, various countries, and American disasters.
It was designed to showcase the work of individual artists while at the same time displaying a common idea presented in each section of the exhibit, which I talked about above.

Ruthann Godollei - Earplugs, 2000 Etching with Screenprint. An image showed an green iPod set in a black and white background. The screen of the iPod displayed: "podcasts-Pretend there's now war, stick it in your ear"...which then showed the headphones which were attached to the iPod as the main subject of the message which engaged the viewer. I believe that the artist was inspired by the economy and politics of the 21st century.

I would tell my friend that the exhibition is visually loud and has various audio sounds as well to accompany the visual images. Somewhat striking, not very easy to describe, it's better to be seen in person to fully understand the concept of the artist and receive the full experience. The concept contains various alternative views and is playful with serious issues regarding the world today. Gave the sense that Americans are oblivious and uninformed with a dramatic effect. I also thought it was kind of scary and didn't really enjoy that part of the viewing. Intimidating is what I might call it. Hard concepts to understand and fairly abstract.