« Hindsight is Always 20/20 | Main | gallery visit!!!! BUNBOB CHHUN »

Hindsight is 20/20 and Who is a citizen? What is Citizenship?

The “Hindsight is 20/20� exhibition, by R. Luke DuBois, is a series of 43 prints. Each is a State of the Union speech (one from each president). The words are ordered based on the frequency of their occurrence in the speech, and the print as a whole is presented as an eye exam.
The exhibition appeared very dull to me at first. Seemingly very similar black and white prints, with very little variation, but after finding out that the words were organized by frequency, the prints became drastically different from one another.
The word “terror� for instance, was the most frequent word in of George W Bush’s speeches. This is the print that I found most interesting, since I have been the most politically aware as an individual during Bush’s time in office.

24.jpg

Through its simplicity, this politically charged exhibition allows the viewer to read between the lines of a president’s speech, and determine the state of the government, the economy, and the nation during that president’s time in office.
If you are looking for art that stimulated the senses, this is not the exhibition for you, but if you are looking to stimulate your mind, I would definitely recommend spending some time in front of these prints.

A more visually appealing exhibition is “Who is a citizen? What is citizenship?� which is a collection of works by various artists that are also politically charged. The works range from prints and photographs to paintings, but all seem to question the validity of government, and system.
The photographs of immigrants arriving on Ellis Island, by Lewis Hines, were particularly moving for me. Often times it seems immigrants have a stronger appreciation for the American way of life. Immigrating to the US is not simply getting on a boat, and I feel the photographs did an amazing job of capturing the mood of the immigrants at the end of their struggle. They force the viewer to question the definition of citizenship by displaying people who have worked hard to attain it, rather than simply being a citizen from birth. Who has more of a right to be a citizen?