« Hindsight is Always 20/20 Kyle Stration | Main | Waterloo Exhibition at the Nash Gallery »

Speaking of Home-Nancy Ann Coyne

In October I visited a display called "Speaking of Home." I wanted to go to this on in particular because it was displayed in a skyway of the IDS tower, which I thought would be interesting. The exhibition was technically a one-person project that was put together by one person, but the photos of each person were considered to be a collaborator as well. There were about 20 or so different photographs and each was blown up to span the skyway side by side. The photos could even be seen clearly from the street.
The main theme of the exhibition was about the difference of "home" to the many different cultures in the Twin Cities. It showcases the fact that so many different cultures reside here and contains a very unique scale of diversity. The work wasn't so much intended to display the artist's WORK but more the idea and the thoughts and feelings that arise from the simple family photographs that show different people in the comfort of the place they call "home."
All of the photos were printed black and white, which, to me, made them go together a lot better than if they all had widely different colors (since they were submitted family photos.) One in particular was called "Leila Habashi," a woman from Iran who, in the picture, is holding her hand above her head as if to block a glare from the sun. She appears very simple and content, but also happy. This was probably the most striking to me because her happiness was the most obvious of the photos, whereas most of the others were more laid-back, low emotion photos.
I would tell a friend to go check the exhibit out if they were downtown. I liked the idea behind the photos, but the actual work itself didn't strike me as particularly interesting. The spot it was displayed in was extremely unique, and the grand scale made it very eye-popping and exciting. It was also pretty cool that people who weren't intended on seeing an art display (such as business people) ended up seeing it anyways, even though while I was there, many people didn't pay a lot of attention towards it.