Struts 2, Spring and Hibernate

I have been looking around on the web to find a simple way of combining the three good frameworks together to build and rewrie some of my older web applications. There were quite a few but no clear instructions of how to do this from scratch. I have seen fully integrated systems like AppFuse to the quickstart app from Struts but no simple tutorial or explanation of what, how and why. In the next few weeks, I will attempt to explore this and will try my best to document here for others that may be trying this. You may find the one that has already been put together for you but it would be nice to know how to do it yourself if needed. In this process, I will also attempt to move away from Ant and start trying out Maven 2.

Here are some of the frameworks that I have looked at

• AppFuse 2

• Grails

• Struts 2 Quickstart example

AppFuse is great but at the first glance, it may have too much stuff there that I may not want. I will use it as a reference when working on the new basic one. Grails itself is for the new language Groovy, but it is very close to Java and I believe is using Spring and Hibernate for it's framework.

Posted by phamx039 at March 11, 2008 11:41 AM