Bi Weekly Report #3 Wacom Inkling

The Wacom Inkling

This week I decided to write about a product that can be used in art education. One product that I was really interested in is the new Wacom Inkling. This product is really cool because sometimes (most of the time really) it is a lot harder to draw something on a computer than it is to sketch in real life. This product is great for that. With the Inkling, you just place the receiver at the top of you page and then draw with the digital pen. The product seems very easy to use and would save a lot of time when you are trying to draw one of your sketchbook ideas out on the computer.
I think this would be a good product to use in the classroom because it would be a great way to get kids to start thinking about using layers and manipulating drawings in photoshop. One of the features I thought was really interesting about the product is that you don't need to use photoshop to assign parts of your drawing to different layers. You can do it while you are drawing in your sketchbook by simply pressing a button on the receiver. This is great because it would really get kids thinking about how layers work in photoshop.
One thing I was wondering about the inkling is if it would be possible to create animations since the receiver can create new layers. For example you could maybe take a long strip of paper and animate a man running. You would draw the man, then press the new layer button and draw him in a different pose, then create another layer and just keep going from that. I don't know if that would work with this product but I think it would be fun to find out. This would be a great project to do in a classroom or in an animation workshop like we are doing in class.
One of the problems with using this product would be that it is expensive and the school might not be able to afford it. Maybe some school funding would be able to cover the cost but there are cheaper ways of doing animation that would probably be considered a better idea in a classroom.

Follow this link to see the Inkling
http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Inkling.aspx

Here's an informational video!!

Sources

"Inkling | Wacom Americas." Interactive Pen Displays and Tablets | Wacom Americas. 2011. Web. 24 Oct. 2011. .

I have used wacom tablets but nothing like this. This would be really great to try out. You can get cheaper tablets to use in the classroom and I would suggest if you have a budget trying to get a few. The are really great to use. We have a couple in our class if you want to try one out!