myU OneStop

Unit's home page.

Eli Coleman, PhD, honored by SSSS

BACK TO PHS NEWSLETTER

Coleman-SSSS-crop-BP.jpg
Eli Coleman, PhD, received the award for Distinguished Service to the Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality (SSSS) at the organization's annual meeting in Tampa, FL, on November 10, 2012.

Award presenter, William Yarber, HSD, of the Kinsey Institute, said of Coleman, "Very few members have served SSSS for so long and with such effectiveness. He has provided leadership and guidance, with diplomacy, through many organizational challenges. He is well-respected, a good listener, and he is most skillful in helping people reach a consensus. Certainly SSSS is stronger and more effective because of Dr Coleman's superior leadership." Coleman has continuously served SSSS for almost three decades including terms as president (1989-0990), mid-content president (1988), member of the Personnel Committee (2003-2005), and chair of the Membership Committee (2007-2011).

In his award acceptance Coleman said, "SSSS has been very critical to the growth of my professional career. It provided me with the base on which I received collegial support, guidance, new ideas, and feedback on my own work. SSSS launched me into the international arena of sexual health. Being involved in the governance has sharpened my administrative skills, and I have used those skills to assist a number of other sexological organizations. It has been easy to keep giving back to the organization that I love and that gave me so much." Coleman also thanked the faculty at PHS for supporting his work with SSSS, which has made it possible.

The Society for the Scientific Study of Sexuality is dedicated to advancing knowledge of sexuality. To acquire that knowledge the Society requires freedom of inquiry, support for research, and an interdisciplinary network of collaborating scholars. The Society believes in the importance of both the production of quality research and the application of sexual knowledge in educational, clinical, and other settings. The Society also sees as essential the communication of accurate information about sexuality to professionals, policy makers, and the general public.

PHOTO: Eli Coleman, PhD, and William Yarber, HSD

BACK TO PHS NEWSLETTER