Dry mounting

Mounting Handout

(After Caroline Houdek)

What You Need

• Acid free, white, 4 ply mat board (do not use colored or black board)
• Dry Mount Tissue (Color Mount)
• Utility knife with extra new blades
• Cork back ruler, preferably 24" long
• Pencil
• Soft eraser (not the pink kind)

What to Do

1. Turn on the dry-mount press, it takes 15 minutes or more to heat up, and set it to 200º F. Also plug in the tacking iron and set it in it's cradle so it does not burn the table.
2. Gently attach the dry mount tissue to the back center of your photo with the tip of the tacking iron. You are not attaching the whole paper, just tacking it to the back.
3. Trim down your photo (with the dry mount tissue attached) to the size you want.
4. Cut your mat board so there is AT LEAST 3" of border all the way around your photo with an extra 1/2" of space at the bottom of the photo. (Keep in mind a final portfolio looks better if all the mat board is the same size, 14" x 17" is a good size for 8" x 10" prints).
5. Measure where your photo will go on your mat board and lightly and gently mark two places on the top and one side so you can place your photo.
6. Place your photo on the mat board, use a weight on top just make sure you don't scratch the surface of the print. Carefully lift up the edge of your photo and tack the dry-mount tissue (not the photo) to the board on 2 diagonal sides so it is attached to the mat board.
7. Place the photo/mat board face up in the dry mount press between the release paper. Make sure there is an additional piece of mat board on top of it - Also make sure there is no dust/dirt or it will create bumps on your print!
8. Press at 200º F for about 1 and 1/2 minutes.
9. Test your print by bending the mat board slightly, if the photo pops up, re-press it.
10. Put photo under a weight for about 3-5 minutes to cool.

Shots Magazine call for entries

people
locally published photo magazine, great way to possibly show your work
http://shotsmag.com/shotssubmission.htm

Walking man project

I found this project that invites participation, check it out and send some photos!
This is the site
HowToExample.jpg

Final Project

Assignment: Final Project
Due: 4/11/10 6:30 pm

8 prints, 5 contact sheets, 100-300 word artist statement about the project.

This project is the culmination of what you have been learning and experimenting with this semester. Consequently the subject matter is open, you decide what to make a body of work about (often harder than it seems). We have seen many ways of working and creating photographs, use the mode that best suits you and your passion.

You may use an SLR, the Holga or even photograms to explore and express your vision. The key is that you create a series or group of images that relate to one another with a common theme, idea or sensibility.
All the prints are to be mounted or displayed in a finished form.
We will have individual conferences on Tuesday, April 20, where you will get a chance to talk about ideas for your project. Bring 3 ideas and support materials; sketches, contact sheets, other photographers' work to provide a visual starting point for this project.
With this assignment I will be expecting the highest level of craft so far, prints burned and dodged, correct density and contrast, no dust spots, mounting should be clean and follow guidelines. Conceptually your ideas should be sound and make a coherent body of work.

Artist Statement:
As artists and citizens it is essential to be able to express your ideas in written form, even if it is sometimes difficult to translate visual ideas on the page, there is always a conceptual thought basis for what we make. As part of the final project you are to write a 100-300 word statement explaining your project and the artistic philosophy that created it.
Give your project a title, and describe the process that you used to create and conceptualize your photographs. The statement should describe the most essential ideas of your work, without simply describing the work. Remember we will see the images with the statement so tell us what we cannot know from looking at the work.
You will hang this on the wall next to your work in the final critique, so write it for the entire class to read.
Artist statements are deceptively hard to write, so write about your project as you are shooting it, you will also find that this helps clarify ideas. Feel free to bring a rough draft to class for Juana or I to look at before it is due.

The final weeks schedule is:
April 20: Dry mounting demo, individual conferences during class.
April 27: Presentations by Amber, Allison and Brittany, Lab time
May 4: Work in Progress presentation: Bring prints you are planning to use and some extras for feedback from your classmates. You should also put your artist statement up with your pictures so we can discuss how the two relate.
May 11: 6:30-8:30 Bring your finished projects to class in a portfolio, we will get a chance to see all the final work and celebrate! Your projects will be graded and in the classroom for pickup the next day.

This final portfolio is 30% of your grade, so start now!
final_project.pdf

Holga Assignment

Class
this is the Holga Assignment

Holga (2 prints, 2-3 rolls)
Due April 13

We have been using a relatively accurate tool, the SLR 35mm film camera. These cameras give one predictable and repeatable results. As technology becomes more a part of our lives (digital camera, i-pods) there is less opportunity to have an experience that is uncontrolled or flawed. The Holga is a low-tech plastic camera with a plastic lens that tends to leak light and will force you to embrace serendipity and unpredictability.

The subject matter is open, so have fun!

The goal is to use a new kind of camera (one that is accessible as well, a new Holga costs about 30 bucks) with a new film format and a larger negative.

You will need to check out a Holga camera from the photo crib and you will need at least 2 rolls of 120 mm Ilford HP 5. Only use 400 ISO film with this camera.
You will also need different negative sleeves, for sale in the photo crib. Also there is a different lens to use with the enlarger that I will show you.

Good online Holga info here
http://microsites.lomography.com/holga/

pdf directions
holga-manual.pdf

Assignment_holga.pdf

double exposure project

a collaborative cross country double exposed roll
see it here

Holga

here is a link to the Holga site we looked at, lots of info about Holgas here.
The film you will need is 120 mm film.

Open Studios

This friday 6-9 pm
check out the blog Juana made!

Extra Credit!

Extra Credit
If you wish to do extra credit, you must pick an artist and date by March 30. By picking a date you are committing to do a presentation.
Available dates are April 6, 13, 20 and 27. Your presentation will take place at the beginning of class. If you fulfill all the parameters, it will add 3% to your overall grade.

Artist Presentation
Parameters:
• 10 minutes in length-this means no longer and no shorter, practice to make sure you can hit ten minutes, +- 30 seconds
• You should show a minimum of 20 images of the artists work.
• Keep it simple, use a black background for the slides, use minimal title slides, we want to hear you tell the story while we look at pictures. Image title captions are good. No bonus points for fancy titles or animations.
• Image quality is important, your images should be 100 ppi and 1000 pixels on the longest side.
• You will also turn in a copy of the powerpoint to me that I can put on the blog.

You will research an artist from the artist list that will be part of this post. You may choose an artist who is not on the list, but check with me first. Pick an artist by researching names on the interweb and finding images, wikipedia is also a good tool for basic info and bibliography. If you want a recommendation of an artist you can also check with Juana and I. The best way to create your presentation is with powerpoint, if you dont have access to the program there is a free web based version available at google docs.

In this presentation you will talk about the artist, their work, the process they used to make their work, influences &c. Tell us the core issues in their work, what have they said about their work, what others have said and what they are trying to accomplish.
Most artists have many different bodies of work, it is best to focus on one project or body of work rather than cover the entire breadth of their career.

All the images in the presentation should be at 100ppi and at 1000 pixels on the longest dimension. (I can cover more of the technical details for those who wish)

Most of the art and photo books are in the sub basement of the Wilson Library. You cannot browse but may request books in the online card catalog. You will need to scan from books, scanners are available in several different computer labs on campus.

scanner instructions

computer lab locations
photo_artist_list.pdf
Extra Credit.pdf

Self-Portrait images

Here is the powerpoint I showed in class.

Recent Comments

• braun246: So I made it out to the art shanty projects read more
  • sunel004: Going to the art shanty project I had no idea read more
  • lyonx074: Last weekend toward dusk at Art Shanty, I tried to read more
  • boyc0069: Finally, I convinced my roommate to let me use her read more
  • laug0069: I finally made it out to the Art Shanty today read more
  • korze015: It's rather easy to immerse oneself into the Minnesota art read more

Recent Assets

• HowToExample.jpg
  • Light Shanty
  • Art Car
  • Jam Band
  • Roomie Dancing!
  • The FantaShanty
  • from the Guerilla Classroom
  • My Scandinavian name
  • Larry Towell
  • misho1.jpg