Assignment #1: Art Shanty and more

Assignment #1 ADDENDUM
Art Shanty visit
due 2/9/10 - Blog post on your visit to the Art Shanty. Posted by the beginning of class time.
Your assignment is to visit the Art Shanty Projects on Medicine Lake in Plymouth. More info and directions can be found here www.artshantyprojects.org

"A four-weekend exhibition of performance, architecture, science, art, video, literature,
survivalism and karaoke, ASP is part sculpture park, part artist residency and part social
experiment, inspired by traditional ice fishing houses that dot the state's lakes in winter."
You will most likely drive, but it is bike-able and there are on-ice bike races every sat and
sunday at noon, open to everyone. If you do not have a car, make arrangements with a
friend who does. We will also get a carpool list going in class. Also note that it is very close to the Golden Valley National Camera Exchange, the best place to buy used cameras locally.

Bear in mind that the last day of the project is February 7.

While there your mission is to take a few pictures of these things/ideas. This is an exercise and a way to start using your camera. For now just take the pictures and I will give you more info on this later. Interpret these ideas broadly, you can be literal or more abstract, try both. Think about light, one of the great things about photography is how it teaches you to see and notice the world around you.
1. Picture of cold.
2. Picture of snow. (in general when photographing snow, overexpose, more on this later
and see chapter 4)
3. Picture of breath.
Also you will make a blog entry of at least 200 words about your experience, post photos
with that if you like, digital or otherwise.

PART TWO OF ASSIGMENT 1
Total of 5 contact sheets (5 different rolls of film)
5 prints
Due February 23
The first part of the assignment is the blog post/visit to the Art Shanty.
The second part is the addition of two more photos plus shooting 5 rolls of film in total. I am asking you to shoot so many rolls so that you can get a bunch of film through your camera and make sure we solve any technical issues as well as get you practiced in using your cameras. You do not have to make all the images related to the final ones you will turn in. Take pictures of friends, family, events, dogs and cats (just this once) or whatever else you want to point out to us. Bring your camera with you all the time and just use it.

The two prints that I want you to make in addition to the 3 listed above are:
4. Picture with a shallow depth of field. Try to make us super aware of how shallow the depth of field is, try to emphasize depth.
5. Picture of motion. We heard during the Genius of Photo about how taking a picture slices up time. For this one we want a slightly longer slice. You can do this by photographing something fast moving with a shutter speed of 1/125th or slower, or shoot something that is moving more slowly at below a 1/60th. IMPORTANT it is super hard to hand-hold below 1/30th of a second so if you want a slow shutter, plan on checking out a tripod and cable release or using your self timer. I will go over tripods next week, if you want one sooner let me know and I can go over it with you.

You will be graded on technical stuff, such as borders, contrast, density on the prints. Also on your creative fulfillment of the assignment, both as seen in the prints and evidence of you trying various things out on your contact sheets.
The blog post will not receive a letter grade but simply points or no points, must be uploaded to the blog by the beginning of class.

Assignment_1_add.pdf

I went to the Art Shanty show yesterday with Brandon and was pleasantly surprised to see the amount of variety among the shanty displays. Before arriving at Medicine Lake I already convinced myself that it would be a boring small town display that only people over age 60 got a kick out of, but definitely not the case. There were about 12 or so shanties and among them my two favorites were the "Dance Party Shanty" and the "Shan-Tea". The Dance Party Shanty was exactly that--a dance party. Young adults were heating up the ice with the "Cupid Shuffle" and Michael Jackson's "Beat it". I found it difficult to photograph this scene however because it took my lense some time to adjust to the temperature change between the winter cold and the steamy dance-fest. My other favorite, the "Shan-Tea", had a presentation about tea production and taught me some interesting facts about the ancient beverage.

I found myself drawn to photograph the people at the show rather than the structural attractions. The Art Shanty audience reminded me of the ice fishing scenes from the movie "Grumpy Old Men". The people were quirky and interesting, and were more than happy to have their picture taken. Overall the experience was well worth the drive, and I am anxious to develop the roll I took yesterday.

-Kate

It's rather easy to immerse oneself into the Minnesota art culture when your surrounded by mobile art shanties and the eclectic group of people that reside in them. Laid across the thick ice on Medicine Lake in Plymouth is an Art Shanty Community. Each Shanty has a theme that is creatively expressed through design, ideas, and the people that reside in the shanty. Once inside a cozy, warm shanty you can dance in the dance shanty, gaze at the solar powered stars in the ace stellar shanty, or become attacked by knowledge in the Guerrilla shanty.

Each shanty is brought to life by the people that inhabit them. The Listening Post seven-Gamma aka "spy" shanty allows visitors to hear the latest information about the mysterious moose man that haunts the lake and terrorizes the locals. The entrance of the spy shanty is hidden behind a refrigerator door and it also allows people to listen in on activities from other shanties where you can listen in on the dance shanty where you'll hear a bad rendition of Lady Gaga's song "Poker Face".

Upon entering the tiny door to the tiny house shanty you can read the tiny collection of books and discover the reason for the small scale house. The shanties are interesting if you let your imagination run wild and understand the theme. At the end of the day you can swap some art for other art within an art swap shanty. It was an interesting experience to view art expressed in an ice house.

-Chris

I finally made it out to the Art Shanty today with my two sisters, one of their friends and my brother. We all had a blast. I wasn't expecting there to be as many shanties as there were; I was definitely pleasantly surprised. Not only was there lots of art to look at including the art shanties themselves but there was also a lot of learning that went on. It seemed like the mood of everyone there was a curious and ready to learn attitude. People wanted to learn what each shanty was all about, how it was made, who made it, where the idea came from, etc. It was a very interactive art which is fun to be apart of because you get to start to know people and what makes them tick. They share who they are with you through their art and ideas.
I really enjoyed the "Shop" shanty. I like the idea of buying things with other things, knowledge, or acts as opposed to actual money. Everybody can have money but not everybody has the same knowledge and experiences to share and give. There was a dollar for sale with advice on the bottom, which had to be bought by another dollar bill with advice that you wrote on it. My sister bought the dollar bill and the advice that she got from the dollar was, " Don't let your mom brush your hair when your mom is mad at your dad".
I'm really glad this was assigned to the class, because I really did have a good time and saw some awesome things and learned some cool things too!-Sarah

Finally, I convinced my roommate to let me use her car to visit the Art Shanty. Usually, she leaves on the weekend so I wasn’t able to use it until the last weekend the Art Shanties were open. Also, my two best friends from back home were coming this weekend, so it was a tight squeeze to fit this trip into my weekend. My friend Andrea agreed to come with me on the last Friday. We go through traffic (at 2:30 in the afternoon? Minnesota is strange) and finally make it to Medicine Lake. However, there are no cars there and we’re thinking “I guess it’s not very popular on Fridays in the afternoon.” Once we walk through the snow to one of the shanties, we realize they’re all locked. A man was walking around in a more official looking hut and we asked him if we needed a key or something, but he told us that it was only open on Saturdays and Sundays. Well shoot, because we couldn’t come back in the next two days since we didn’t have a car then and my other friends would be here! We tried to explore the best we could, and I wish we could have seen it at its full potential. They looked like they would be so much fun. We got to peek inside the ones that had windows like the little dice where you could play games and the traveling hut where you dressed up and wrote on the wall “where you would rather be.” It was such an interesting concept I wish I could have found out more. I really wanted to see what was inside the suitcase and little red house. Too bad I will never be able to experience it fully. We took a few pictures and went on our way. Now we would just have to guess our way back to campus since we only got mapquest directions one way…

Going to the art shanty project I had no idea what to expect. I've been on a frozen like hundreds of times fishing with my dad when i was little, but had no idea how to make an art piece out of it. I can definitely say the art shanty was a pleasant surprise. Though the weather was pretty extreme the day I went i thoroughly enjoyed my experience. I was surprised to see so many different people coming to the event to appreciate what the artists have created. My favorite art shanty was the dance party shanty because It was simply something I never thought i would see in the middle of a frozen lake. It was a very creative idea. Because the weather was so cold (and because I forgot my mittens!) I did not stay long. The shanties were very creative and I have every intention of going again next year, but hopefully with better weather. I am very glad this was assigned for us to go to. It was a very unique experience.

So I made it out to the art shanty projects the last Sunday and enjoyed every moment of it, even with the dreadful cold and constant snow falling. All of the shanties had their own flair and intriguing qualities. My favorites were the SHOP shanty, the fantashanty with the story teller, the post office shanty, and the shanty that had a little girl that was leading sing-a-long songs in her long underwear.

I would say that my favorite part was making a post card in the post office shanty. I was given the opportunity to work with the tools I was given and then use my own creative abilities to create a post card that I sent to my boyfriend. It made my think about how when I was younger I would always make birthday cards and such for friends and family because it was so much fun to have it made by you!

The SHOP shanty was also one of my favorites because of their concept of how you shop at this specific shop. I absolutely loved that everything was basically an exchange instead of just using the money you had to buy these interesting objects. It then made me think about trade and how people use to trade things in order to get in return the essentials that they needed. You give up something you have for something you don't. It kind of made me thing about how our society is filled with a constant need to buy this or that. Instead of constantly buying things that we want and then discarding them when we are finished, can we trade, give away, or exchange these items to get something that may be of interest to us?

I had a great experience at the art shanty project! It created a sense of togetherness with the other people around, because of the small spaces that we had to share with others that you did not know.

-Natalie

This page contains a single entry by pht published on January 18, 2010 7:52 PM.

Lockers and Fact Sheet is the next entry in this blog.