Art Shanties

On the 31st of January, I made my over to Medicine Lake with Deb from class who was gracious enough to give me a ride there. I wasn't really sure what to expect from the exhibit. In my mind I had kind of pictured a desolate lake with a few shanties painted in some kooky colors. However, I found that I really enjoyed myself at the Art Shanties exhibit. I was shocked and pleased at the sense of community that I felt while walking around the lake. I had prepared myself to be a viewer, and not a participant that day, so I felt a little bad when I didn't have much to give back. However, this did not seem to bother those volunteers who were running the shanties. Everyone really seemed to be enjoying themselves, and I felt like most people left their inhibitions on the shore.
The shanties themselves were a great example of creativity, and were a lot of fun to photography. My favorite was definitely the spy shack and the dance shack. The volunteers in these areas just really seemed to be enjoying themselves, and their attitudes were contagious. I could not stop laughing at the guys in the spy shanty when they showed us their "sonar spying equipment" which allowed us to listen to what was happening in the other huts. The dance shanty was a great opportunity to warm up, and I can honestly say that I've never seen people happier to be dancing in the middle of winter on a lake. My favorite shanty name though? The Fanta-shanty. It definitely reminded me of that feeling of awe that you get when you're little and you've found the best hiding spot or fort. The whole experience in general made me feel like a kid again in many ways. Everything had this very whimsical and carefree feeling.

This page contains a single entry by berth034 published on February 8, 2010 11:37 AM.

Shanties and Slush was the previous entry in this blog.

Art Shanty Escapade is the next entry in this blog.