Blog 1

I have some basic knowledge of C++ and look to expand on this. This knowledge comes from both academic work and independent work. I look to expand this knowledge in a more formal setting and learn how this is used in industry.

I have previous experience using subversion, so this also gives me some working knowledge of version control and group program.

I am interested in learning "best practice" for program design. In the past, I have worked on projects that were small enough that I could get with an ad-hoc approach to programming. My goal was to get the program to run, and not neccessarily make it neat. It has mostly been for purely class work, and I am looking to expand my skills to real-world applications.

I am excited to see what kind of models we will use in CSCI 3081. My goal is to learn how to effectively break a large project into small, coherent, managable projects.

One thing I am curious about moving forward is what kind of development tools we will be using. So far, most of my programming experience in C++ is command-line based. I am interested in moving to a more IDE-based approach with more tools to make the mundane parts of programming simpler.

Reading through your blog, I was able to pull out a few areas that I shared interest with you in.

The first of these would definitely have to be the "best practice" for program design. I have not really heard that much in regards to programming effectively/neatly in our classes so far, so it would be interested to learn some of these tricks and be able to implement them going forward.

I also share the interest of learning how to break large projects into smaller, more manageable installments. So far, it seems like we are getting decent exposure to this process and I am sure that as the semester progresses we will be adequate in this process.

Hopefully we both will get these topics/concerns addressed and come out of this class as better programmers!

Joshua K Anwar

I agree that the "best practice" for program design is really important. We are kind of the same that "to get the program to run, and not neccessarily make it neat". I found it is a problem when this summer, I got an internship in a networking company. All the programmers there are required to write code in a neat way, for the same code will be viewed by other programmers. It is important for you to have a good design. I will try to improve this skill too. Good luck!

Lingfeng Ye

I'm right there with you on the being comfortable with C++, but want to learn to use it for more extensive and dense programming. As well as figuring out what the best practice is for going about writing, as with modelling and such. I feel like it's sometimes a challenge to stick to the original plan/process you make for your project, as things go wrong and all you want to do (in the case of in class work) is get it to run on time. But I would also like to learn how to stick to it from plan to finish.

Anna Mandy

I agree with your idea about best practice programming. I have never written code outside of class, so I have not had any experience with this concept. It will be nice to get that experience in class before we are in the real world. It seems like utilizing this technique will really help clean up our code and help with overall readability.

Jackson Spencer

I totally agree with your point. I think best practice programming is very important. Because I only write code in class, I think what we lack now is the best practice programming.I will do my best on this part.

Wenliang Tong

After I read your post I find out that we have something in common. I have learned C/C++ during last semester and while I was doing independent work (mostly non-paying work) but I did that just because I want some experience in my resume and to improve my knowledge in C++. I'm also exited that in two of my classes this semester we are using C and C++ to do all the assignments and projects.

Carlos Cachima