Next

Creep

This I Believe

Yesterday, we concluded the Minnesota Council of Nonprofits Senior Manager Leadership Institute with a powerful statement of hope. I am a Senior Fellow there and co-lead the intensive 8-month program for Senior Nonprofit Leaders and Strategic Connectors from organizations around the state. As part of the program, we challenged each leader to write a statement of their core beliefs. I believe that true leadership requires deep grounding in these beliefs, the things that get you up every morning, the things that keep you going when times are tough. So, we joined in what has become a national movement supported by National Public Radio called This I Believe. Based on a popular 1950s radio series of the same name hosted by Edward R. Murrow, this series challenges each of us write our core beliefs in 350 to 500 words…without being preachy or self righteous. Each week one is read on the radio and posted as a podcast.

Yesterday, we heard of balance, community, justice, intuition, solidarity, and letting go. We heard stories of Rick the homeless man in Ohio, paella in Valencia Spain, bridge building in Minneapolis, dialogue in South Dakota, recovery from illness, and Dr. Suess. We were reminded of the power of language, the optimism required when people foster parent, and playgrounds. We were told about a dream of education, the fun of gardening, the potential that comes from opening to others, and the ways a child can transform a life. We were reminded that life can change in an instant and urged to live fully with joy in the present.

These statements are profound. They seem more so because we join with tens of thousands of others who have taken the time and deep soul searching needed when you are asked to reduce all of your stories, all of your thoughts, all of the hours debating with others to a simple 350 to 500 word statement. I encourage others to join this effort. Through such deep reflection and attention, the world will become more hopeful. This I Believe.

The "This I Believe" statements read in each person's own voice was a highlight of the entire Leaders Institute. I heard such wisdom, insight, authenticity and care in the statements. Having spent many days in the last eight months with this group of people, I found that I was still amazed at the depth of the thoughts, the depth of the people both personally and professionally. I was both humbled and inspired.

The Leaders Institute was a gift to me personally and professionally.

Thanks Jodi for your excellent leadership, and your unique ability to be both a leader of the Institute and a "searching" participant.

Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs
The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s), and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs or the University of Minnesota. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota or the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.