Local Government Innovation & Redesign

To support local government redesign efforts and recognize the innovative work already underway, the Public and Nonprofit Leadership Center has partnered with state associations to create the Local Government Innovation & Redesign Guide and host a yearly Local Government Innovations Awards ceremony.

Reading List

Powered by Delicious

Blogroll

A family member of mine who works in the development field told me that he assumes that people are philanthropic--that they are naturally inclined to generosity. In this way, I think, he frees himself from having to "sell" charity as a concept so that he can move straight to explaining the importance of the programming.

Perhaps the educational efforts you hope for could be built upon the same assumption?

Following on your comment that the teacher should "bear in mind that some students may already be recipients of charity," I think it's important to remember and recognize that we all are capable of giving and receiving "charity," no matter our socio-economic or cultural backgrounds. This concept of service by and for all is a fundamental tenet of the programs of the federal Corporation for National and Community Service (e.g., AmeriCorps and VISTA).

Also, for anyone who studies fundraising statistics, it's interesting to note that individuals from lower income households tend to give a higher percentage than those at middle income levels. Something for us all to think about.

I loved your article- from the inspiring example of the long walk by an 11 yr old, to the candor about your little one hitting the cat.

It's also true that our 19th century model of education included an understanding of basic morals that enrich a society, making it work for all its people, not just some.

I suppose it's up to parents to do the greatest share of teaching in this regard, and perhaps example and experience is the best way to have an impact in that way.

So far as unique examples of charity and benevolence that are working, and growing, there are ever so few organizations that are designed to go beyond the "donate" model, and actually provide a path to grow a livelihood by doing good in the world. I've looked into such models, and this one is the best I've found.

http://child-sponsoring-home-biz.com

The views and opinions expressed in this page are strictly those of the page author(s), and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs or the University of Minnesota. The contents of this page have not been reviewed or approved by the University of Minnesota or the Hubert H. Humphrey Institute of Public Affairs.