readings for the day

"Why the fries taste good" - I thought the beginning bio of Mr. Spud himself, J.R. Simplot was pretty interesting. He really is the definition of a self-made millionaire is actually sort of inspiring. Of course I did find it disturbing but not at all suprising was how corporate farms have completely taken over all the family farms that were devoted to planting potatos. I wasn't as bothered by the whole artificial/"natural" flavoring chemical plants as I thought I'd be. Using volatile and sometimes toxic chemicals to create the flavoring, color, and taste in basically all the food we're eating, great! What actually was sort of suprising and sort of cool was the water gun knife. I had no idea how technical it was to make and ship french fries. Ahh, better living through chemistry.

"Candyfreak" - This is another author whose writing style I like, funny conversational writing. Prior to this I had no idea what five star candy bars were but now I'm pretty interested in tasting one. My cousins actually visited the Hersey chocolate company tour and told me that after the tour they got to take a whole bunch of large candy bars with them. After hearing Mr. Bolton refer to Hershey's bars as baby's vomit, it sort of peaked my interest as to what his candy tasted like.

Posted by poon0022 at 12:38 AM

readings for the day

I think the biggest statistic that stood out in my mind in these articles is that "there are 800 million people going hungry in developing nations." (wfp.org) I chose this statistic because I feel that this statistic shows how enormous of a problem hunger is in the world. There are many implications from this statistic. One of which is gaining strength in the developing world is the backlash against the IMF and worldbank and "free" trade economic policy altogether. With governments unable to feed their citizens, more instability will arise ultimately leading to either coups or harsh crackdowns thus leading to more undemocratic regimes. Ultimately this leads to an endless cycle or poverty and hunger, where the voiceless majority remain silenced so that any "aid" that developed nations give would remain in the hands of the established elite and not going to the people that need it.

Posted by poon0022 at 10:36 AM

readings for the day...except for one

but it ain't my fault! One of the links provided for us on an article by Jeremy Iggers, "Longfellow grill is off the chain" doesn't work, or does work, but I'm not subscribing to the startrib online. Anyways, onward towards my very thoughtfilled comments on the readings for the day.

"My time at the times" - Towards the first part of her piece, I was like, "Damn, eight hot dogs?" Anyways the restaurant frequented by the mob kept my interest, and her stories about how far some restaurants would go to please her when she was recognized was funny. It was nice how she didn't "buy" into the hype at some restaurants, though she seemed kind of harsh at times. Of course, she is a food critic.

"Getting the goods" - Another Minnesota article, woo hoo! You know I've always mixed up Murray's and Morton's, as to whose originally from here. Too many fancy steakhouses with names that start with M. Anyways, this Mr. Freeman sounds like a total professional, of course 30 years of experience helps. Hey, an article on the Minneapolis farmer's market! I always get the Minneapolis and St Paul farmer's markets mixed up because I haven't been to either one in a long time. Anyways the complexity that Oceannaire has to go through to get it's fish is crazy. I don't think it's worth all the money and stress but hey, if you have a passion for something, then go for it.

Iggers "A slice of the market" - Galactic Pizza sounded pretty good but that story about how consuming hemp is "good" for the brain sounds kinda bogus. Of course, nothings wrong with hemp or anything =) Jakeeno's sound like more of my thing cause they seem offer more of what I like, the "tradional"..fake Italian pizza.

Iggers "Longfellow grill is off the chain" - Well since I couldn't read the article, I can only go by the title and I must say, Mr. Iggers is "hip" and "with it". Haha, he's got the slang goin on, off da chain! You cool wit me Mr. Iggers, fo sho. holla!

Posted by poon0022 at 11:15 PM

readings on markets

"Farm fresh find" - Of course the first thing that caught my eye in this piece was that he was talking about a place in the twin cities *woo hoo, minnesota represent!* I really liked her description of the foods, it made me feel hungry even though I didn't even know what some of the stuff she was describing. *hondrolia olives? Um, ok, mmm mm* Anyways I think any sane person would agree with this article that animals raised in farms that actually get to walk around and not be totally confined and/or totally injected with hormones are better. Then again of course, comes the issue of price which i'm factors in to the majority of people's minds

'Playing the market" - I actually just moved back here from the bay area so this article also caught my eye right at the beginning when it mentioned that the farmer's market she's describing is in San Francisco. But where I totally lost her was when she described two other farmers markets that weren't as good because they were "funky" and had a large immigrant population. Whatever lady, you just feel uncomfortable when you aren't around a place where there's not a white majority. In all honesty I lost interest in this article when I read this, thinking, "here's another 'liberal' white lady who's 'liberal' when it comes to issues of diversity and multi-culturalism...so long as those people aren't anywhere near her."

"Mother of all markets" - When I read this article I felt that this market woud be the kind of place for me. It's sort of like a "Whole Food's market", not truly a farmers market/co-op or anything, but at least it makes you feel like it somewhat is. I'm all for the fresher, larger variety of food markets.

"Fresh off the farm" - Even though I'm all for the small farmer and know that so many of them are struggling, CSAs really don't appeal to me. Work? For food? Bah! Of course I don't really eat that many vegetables, so that would be a big reason why it really wouldn' make sense for a person like me to "own" into a CSA.

Posted by poon0022 at 10:35 PM

readings for the day

"Barbeque, Jamaican style" - I thought this story was pretty interesting, how a guy would go all this way just to get the authentic taste of Jamaican jerk barbeque. I myself have tried so-called Jamaican jerk chicken, so-called because the flavor wasn't really intense or anything. The history of Jamaican jerk barbeque is pretty interesting, the legacy of colonialism.

"A flowering of appetite" - I thought this article was pretty strange. I'm just not use to someone talking about a death of a relative thats not sort or mournful or sad. I thought the story of her making the soup for her grandmother was sentimental and I could really relate with many of the foods she talked about. I also like how she ended the article with her recipe for the soup that she gave her grandmother.

"Devil with a red apron" - I really like how he wrote the piece, it had some funny parts like describing himself as "damien". Even though I never saw the movie (the omen I think), I've heard about the story of the demon kid, damien. Otherwise, I can totally imagine an old lady cooking over a stove, adding ingrediants when needed and being stubborn when asked if they could learn her recipes by just writing the ingrediants down. I really liked this article and could relate a little with it.

Posted by poon0022 at 12:31 PM

readings for the day

"Ode to an egg" - After reading this ladie's article on the egg, I thought to myself, "Dang, she's really overanalyzing what an egg is". I found it pretty hard to take her article seriously. The fact that she found quotes about eggs from famous people like Shakespeare and Hemingway sort of made this author seem a bit obsessed with eggs. Her detailed descriptions of the texture of an egg when cooked various ways actually made me not want to have eggs. Also when she talked about the random "freak eggs" with bloody veins in the yolk, I had no idea what she was talking about. I've never had that experience before and well, am glad I haven't.

"Let's be frank" - I really liked Mrs. Loh's article. I found it really funny especially the way she introduces herself as the woman in a size 14 bathing suit from Costco. As I'm writing this I just noticed the pun in the title of her article. I don't know why but the fact that I recognized some of the brand names she mentioned in her article (Costco, Heinz, Lay's, Ocsar Meyer) kept my interest in the article. I guess it's because I felt like I could relate with her in some way, though i'm not sure which beach she goes to in LA cause most of the ones I've been to down there have some hot women and "cool" looking people. heh

"Something from the oven" - Ms. Shapiro's article about cake mixes, cakes, and the whole housewive baking industry at that time was really interesting. This article reminded me about how much pyschology goes into advertising. I remember reading articles about tricks that casinos, cigarette and fast food companies use to garner more sales. I actually agree with Mr. Dichter's "egg theory" as to why cake mixes weren't selling as well as they had hoped.

Posted by poon0022 at 11:56 PM

your food ID

1. I'd have to say that my favorite food is pizza because it's conveniant and tasty. I also like the fact that you don't have to use silverware to eat it *besides deep dish*. My least favorite food would probably be shrimp, though i'm not sure why that is. I can eat lobster and crab, but something about shrimp that i just really don't like. I think it's mainly the texture that i dislike though the smell is also pretty bad.

2. I think my favorite place to eat on a free Friday night would be at my parent's restaurant. I like it because it's good it's what I've grown up eating. Also I guess another factor would be that it's free, but also that I enjoy dropping by to see my parents.

3. On Thanksgiving, my family and I don't have a normal Thanksgiving dinner with turkey. Instead we have Mongolian hot pot. It consists of a large sizzling pot in which you put in vegtables, tofu, noodles, and various kinds of meat (chicken, beef, lamb, shrimp). We then take out whatever piece of food we want to eat out of the pot and dip it in this peanut butter type sauce.

4. Of the top of my head, I think the most unusual thing I've eaten is shark's fin soup. It wasn't like a chunk of shark's fin in a bowl or anything, in fact if no one told me I wouldn't have known it was shark's fin. It was more like shavings of a shark's fin in the soup.

5. I basically don't cook at all so i'd have to say I'm probably the worst cook out there. I guess I just haven't really needed to cook in my life so that's why I never really cook. The things that I have "cooked" are ramen and pizza, which isn't saying much.

6. A typical weeknight dinner, I eat whatever my grandmother has cooked for me, and I usually eat in front of the TV. My grandmother makes my dinner for me before everyone else because my parents come home from work pretty late and she eats with them.

7. At home, my grandmother does all the cooking. She actually raised me since my parents have to work all day during the week at their restaurant. Even though my dad is a chef, he's at work during the weekdays so I grew up with my grandmother's cooking.

8. Most of the food from home comes from your usual local supermarket (Cub foods, Rainbow), however we occasionally get stuff at some Asian markets such as United Noodle or other smaller markets. We do have a garden in our backyard, so we also do get some of our vegetables from our backyard.

Posted by poon0022 at 12:21 PM