Deadly poison found in Vegas hotel room
A man who stayed in a Las Vegas hotel room where ricin was discovered Thursday has been hospitalized since Feb. 14, police said. His symptoms are consistent with exposure to the deadly toxin.
Investigators continue to try to determine why ricin, a poison derived from castor beans, was in a room at the Extended Stay America near the Las Vegas Strip. A family member retrieving the patient’s belongings from the room discovered the vials of white powder, Las Vegas Deputy Chief Kathleen Suey said. He notified the hotel’s manager, who called police.
The hotel was evacuated, and seven people were taken to local hospitals and later released when they showed no signs of exposure to ricin, Suey said. The hotel reopened Friday after public health officials said they had found and removed the ricin.
Police announced Friday that firearms and an anarchist manual were also found in the hotel room. Officials believe that the findings are not related to terrorism.
Ricin has some medical uses, including killing cancer cells, but is extremely deadly. As little as 500 milligrams can kill an adult in three to five days, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
New York Times