Harteau sworn in as Minneapolis police chief

Janeè Harteau was sworn in as the city's 52nd police chief on Thursday in a ceremony attended by hundreds of City Council members, other Minnesotan police chiefs and Minneapolis officers.

Harteau has been a long-time member of the Minneapolis police force, taking her first job with them in 1987, according to KSTP. She had won unanimous support from the City Council on friday.

The ceremony took place in the rotunda of Minneapolis City Hall in front of a crowd of 300 people, reports the Star Tribune.

"I will always stand up for what is right even if I stand alone," Harteau said during her speech, according to the Star Tribune. "There are incredibly high expectations of me and there should be."

Long-time member of the police force and Harteau's life partner Sgt. Holly Keegel stood at Harteau's side during the ceremony. Their daughter Lauren, 13, was also next to her and got the honor of pinning Harteau with the chief's badge, according to Kare 11.

Harteau is Minneapolis's first woman and openly gay police chief, according to Kare 11.

Harteau is taking over the position from Tim Dolan, who retired in November, reports KSTP.