Obama fails to call Armenian massacre a genocide

By Sam Preston

President Obama still avoids using the term genocide to describe the Ottoman mass slaughter of Armenians nearly a century ago, according to both the New York Times and the Washington Post.

The president addressed the situation Saturday, as it marks the 95th anniversary since the near 1.5 million Armenians were massacred or marched to their death in the final days of the Ottoman Empire, according to the Times.

During the 2008 presidential elections, President Obama had no issues labeling the event as a genocide, the Post said, as he was trying to gain the votes from some of the 1.5 million Armenian-Americans.

In his statement commemorating the victims of the killings, the president wanted to avoid alienating Turkey, a NATO ally, which adamantly rejects the genocide label, the Times said.

However, Mr. Obama did hint to Armenians in his statement that he still felt the same way. "I have consistently stated my own view of what occurred in 1915, and my view of that history has not changed," he said, according to both the Times and the Post.

This page contains a single entry by prest150 published on April 24, 2010 10:12 PM.

10 Dead After Tornado Hits Mississippi was the previous entry in this blog.

Minn. authorities ID 3 teens killed in truck wreck is the next entry in this blog.