Leadership Definition-Week 7

Last Week's Definition:

A good leader will face tough choices at some point in their career. A good leader will know the right choices to make, it may be tough. According to Kidder, even the people we consider good people face tough choices. Kidder also states, "Tough choices are never easy" (Kidder, p.13).

This week's Definition:

Being able to look beyond your thoughts and Ideas are key. The balcony analogy was great. This allows you to step back and see what is going on, not only with others but with you as well. It enables you to see how effective you as a leader are actually being. Others' reaction to the decisions that you will make are key to what you may decide to do next. When you observe from the balcony you must see yourself as well as the other participants. This is the hardest task of all--to see yourself objectively (Heifietz & Linsky, p.54).

Analysis:

This week, I actually thought a lot about the readings. I have to admit, I did get a little overwhelmed. This was the first time that I felt, it was all too much to think about. I found myself wondering, if I had all of these qualities and am I able to see the things that the author was talking about. I'm not even close to having a conclusion to either of those questions. There are so many scenarios that play out in my head of what I want to be. How do I become that? Will someone give me that opportunity? If I get the opportunity, what will I do with it? I think I will just take this being a "good leader" thing one day at a time. But, my hope is that I step on that balcony and see good things!

James, I'm not going to include your grade here because the login to your blog has disappeared. Can you please add it back on? Get in touch if you need help with this.

I agree with some of your ideas here -- it *is* a lot to think about. Getting on the balcony is very, very tough; I'm struggling to do that myself in my work right now.

Try to keep the idea of your definition somehow central. I feel that you're changing your definition entirely each week to reflect what you perceive the author's definition of leadership is; that's not the assignment. I want to know what *you* think leadership is, and if/how the readings have changed that. I am hopeful that that definition won't change entirely each week -- and that it will somehow build upon itself over the course of the semester, as you wrestle the different views of what leadership is into a comprehensive whole.

This page contains a single entry by price387 published on October 23, 2010 9:45 PM.

Leadership Definition-Week 6 was the previous entry in this blog.

My Leadership Definition-Week 8 is the next entry in this blog.