First Week of Classes

So classes commenced on February 27th, and my schedule consists of Quantum Mechanics and Semiconductor Physics, Philosophy 1A, and Classical Mechanics and Special Relativity. Classes here are quite a bit different. Everything is laid out at the beginning of the semester. I have one test in each class, the final exam, which accounts for 50% of my grade. The rest is divided up into about four assignments/quizzes per class per semester. They're really large assignments, and we are expected to work on them from pretty much the start of the course until their due date. I've found my classes extremely difficult so far. My quantum professor is a little asian lady with a squeaky voice and a hardcore accent that's nearly impossible to understand. Another thing that makes things fairly complicated is that I haven't taken the same prior courses as the other students. Professors keep referencing things from previous courses and I don't have any idea what they're talking about. Also in physics I've found that they use a few different symbols and terminology than I'm used to back home so it's hard to recognize and follow. On top of that, I still haven't gotten any of my textbooks, so I haven't been able to do any catching up yet. I'm waiting on them to be delivered.
Fun facts: The letter z does not exist in the Australian alphabet, it is a symbol which they refer to as "zed". Baby strollers are called "prams."