Motivation

In the article "How Literacy Task Influence Children's Motivation for Literacy" by Julianne Turner and Scott G. Paris, the authors focus on motivation for literacy, not through an implemented reading program but through daily tasks the teacher provides for his/her students. The article continued to persuade readers that open tasks fro motivation where successful in the classroom. An open task consists of providing students with challenge, choice, student control over learning, opportunities to collaborate with others, and construct meaning through reading and writing. Closed tasks include a product or process that is specific and restricted. The author's observations took place in 12 classrooms full of 6 year old students, watching instruction of literacy over 5 days. After this observation in the class room the author's provide the readers with six helpful tips to help motivate students in daily tasks. 1. Give students choice. 2. Provide them with challenge. 3. Allow students to take control over their own learning through planning, evaluation, and self monitoring. 4. Share information in collaboration. 5. Constructive comprehension or making meaning through reading and writing. 6. Consequences promote feelings of competence and efficacy. These helpful tips can make literacy more interactive for students and motivate them in the long run. Another few tips I found in the article that are worth noting including: providing authentic choices for the students to read, allow students to modify tasks to difficulty and interest, show students how to control their own learning, encourage collaboration, emphasize strategy use, and use consequences of tasks to build responsibility, ownership, and self regulation. All of these tips are ways that the authors found to foster motivation. I agree with most of these motivational tools to help students in their literacy learning. The authors give great tips for teachers to try or use continuously. I believe there are other things that can be done as well but these are a good base to start from to foster motivation.   

I like how it states, in the article, that "constructive comprehension or making learning through readin and writing" is a way of motivating students. I agree with this because while in my 5th grade practicum class, I observed a higher motivation because the teacher would allow them to write about their personal experiences that were prompted from the text. For example, one time the students read a portion of another text and it was about Doug over comming his fear of heights. Then in the Language Arts class period the teacher would have them write a long-answer paragraph explaining what their fear was and how they dealt with it.
Another part that I agree with is the collaboration. Talking with others helps comprehension and sometimes recipercal teaching takes place in the small groups or pairs.

I agree, with literacy tasks, and even school and Education in general, motivation is an important factor. The 6 C's; choice, challenge, control, collaboration, constructive comprehension, and consequence seem to be and are effective ways of getting motivation into the classroom with the students to help higher achievement levels in regards to literacy learning. These are all methods(and also any other motivational tactics) that are very important to implement to try and meet needs of all students and to try and get them engaged and interested in reading and all literacy activities.