normalizing. criminalizing. sleepwalking.

I've filed this post under both 'prison industrial complex' and under the question for this week, although it does not directly correspond to either. But I became very curious in reading through the selected articles for this week, as well as reading through essays pertaining to the PIC, and wanted to use the blog as a space to express my curiosity. I'm curious about language and its (mis)use; gender sleepwalking and gender-fucking; prescribed gender versus performed gender; blindness and invisibility; socially constructed norms; coercion versus choice; human v. non-human; and, finally, I'm curious about what happens when I bring all of these things I've been processing into conversation with one another -- what are the consequences or benefits of doing this?

Since I organize my thoughts in a really scattered way when processing multiple readings -- especially in conjunction with readings, etc., that are seemingly unrelated -- I'm going to risk confusing my readers and just throw my thoughts up here in the form of my favorite organizational facilitator:

kraus post.jpgbornstein post.jpgstein post.jpgwilchins post.jpgsperm:egg post.jpg

Can the same social constructs that circumscribe and produce gender norms be contrasted or compared to how criminal bodies are produced?

admfrbmwkb.JPG

How do the foreclosures and erasures of proper, legitimate gender demarcate and circumscribe the human? To what purpose are criminal bodies produced in order to be legitimately (lawfully) excluded from the category of human? What does gender transgression do for/to feminist discourses? How is the human framed and delimited through these discourses and where do non-humans (both abject bodies and non-human animals, etc.) fit in? What would the transvaluation of the non-human mean for feminist discourse? (I'm thinking of most of these questions in relation to my engagement with Davis and Foucault regarding criminalized bodies, racialized and gendered crime and criminalization, and the punishment industry - so if anyone has ideas about framing these questions more productively, that would be a great help.)

1. Hey M. - I think this is Mary from group 1 of the Agendas, right?
    I didn't know how else to get ahold of you, but I wanted to remind you that we have to post our agenda soon.
    Thanks again for scanning our agenda! :)

This page contains a single entry by Mary published on March 8, 2010 11:23 AM.

Blog Folder Due Date Change was the previous entry in this blog.

XXXY is the next entry in this blog.