This is a feminist issue because...Lie to Me and Surrogacy

I know when our group looked into surrogacy, we started to talk about outsourcing surrogacy to make the process cheaper, but I didn't realize how big of a problem it was until I actually saw it referenced in an almost brand new show, Lie to Me. In episode 8 of season 1, the main character and his colleagues discover that a US official has been illegally bringing women into the country on the premise that all they have to do is be a surrogate and get paid for it. Obviously, this scene is over-dramatized and fairly irrelevant to the issue, however, at one point in the show, the biological mother of the surrogate's child specifically says that she went through an agency because it was 60,000 dollars cheaper than American surrogates. This is the big problem with outsourcing surrogacy, it is far cheaper than to keep the surrogacy within the United States, and it preys on the poor that do need the money being a surrogate mother brings to them. This obssession with having a child that's biologically yours is being outsourced, like this article says, just like so many industrial jobs are, but is it really the right thing to do? I do think surrogacy should not have laws against it in the United States and women should be allowed to sell their bodies if they want to - however, this would (and may already) be a problem in the United States and is already a problem in India because impoverished women get stuck in this position, whether they like it or not, because the payment they receive will pull them out of the lower class and put them at least into middle class, if not higher, which doesn't sound like a bad thing, but is it really worth having women sell their bodies away and put themselves in a very risky health position for nine months?

1. I agree with your take on this, to a degree. I don't think surrogacy should be outsourced to other countries, and it should be cheaper in America. However, although my take is less popular in a class like this, I don't think any woman should be encouraged to sell her body to produce a person. There are so many children in foster care that need a home, and these people are so obsessed with the idea of having a baby with their DNA that they don't consider the fact that these children are already being left behind and could use help. Now i understand the need to reproduce your own children, but the idea of implanting another woman with your DNA to produce a child is very science fictiony and frightening to me. I just think more of the lives already here on this earth should be more taken care of and appreciated before new life is artificially inseminated, especially when you have to transport a woman from a third world here to do it.

This page contains a single entry by Danielle published on April 29, 2010 11:47 PM.

Secret ICE Castles was the previous entry in this blog.

Tracking- Single Parent Adoption is the next entry in this blog.