This is a feminist issue because....Immigration

Clintion made a good point in this article when she states that the new immigration law in Arizona was made out of frustration. I think she was dead on. However, I don't know if I necessarily agree with changing its fundamental purpose, which is giving the police more of an opportunity to check for documents. I believe the difficult theme of this law is that the problem has ethnic origins. It is how people are entering America from a different ethnicity. How else are to you combat this illegal action without tip-toeing on racial profiling. I don't think you can. And I also don't think it is right for people to get away with committing a crime just because they are a different ethnicity. If I were to go to a different country and they had laws in which I had to register to visit, and I didn't I would accept to be pursued by their authorities and face the consequences. I wouldn't expect it to be alright because they chose to stop me because of the color of my skin. It is what it is.

I do feel bad for the american citizens who are going to be checked for papers simply because of their skin color. It will happen, and it is unfortunate. However, just like in other aspects of society, the innocent sometimes have to bear the consequences and be inconvenienced by the actions of the people committing the crimes. Drinking under the age of 21 is illegal. So why isn't it a problem when people ask other people for their ID? Isn't this the same issue of discrimination, only based on age rather then skin color? If I do recall, both are even protected classes. So why is one form of discrimination deemed acceptable by society while another isn't?

1. You make an interesting comparison to having an ID checked and being checked for documentation, in essence saying, “Why is ageism okay, and not ethnic profiling?” I think it is more difficult than that, having your age verified is not as dehumanizing as having your citizenship. We all age and eventually, someone who was denied entrance somewhere for their age, will be that age, but the people being stopped for ethnic profiling will never stop being Latino. They will never stop having brown skin or speaking with an accent. Furthermore, this brings up the question of why legislation is so strict. As it stands now, Latinos put more into the economy than they supposedly take out. If the opportunities to become a citizen were clear and done in a more organized manner, we would see Latinos seek out becoming a legal citizen. There is much fear surrounding the process of becoming a legal citizen and many who would want to become legal, are afraid to. They are afraid to be deported.

2. I see your point. But are you sure age discrimination is not as dehumanizing to some as racial profiling is to others? I believe that some have issues with their age just as some with their race, and then there are those who don't really care about their age just as those who aren't really bothered by their ethnicity. My point is, there is no black and white lines. Age is a protected class for a reason, yet it is socially acceptable for your identity to be checked....in some cases, and some people object to it in others. Believe me, being a bouncer at night clubs I have had my a** chewed out for asking for ID's despite it being state law. People DO take it personally. They do find it dehumanizing when they are made vulnerable to a stranger knowing their date of birth and the year they were born in. It is a sense of exploitation.

My response was specific to them. I told them they could show me their ID or chose to go to another establishment. Is this different concerning immigration? Or does the same concept apply?

3. user-pic Author Profile Page Thunder_Fox | May 4, 2010 4:15 PM

Hi, Justin. I agree with you that it is unfair to argue that all proponents of SB-1070, Arizona’s now infamous “anti-immigration” are malevolent racists. Undoubtedly, some are supporters because they are frustrated with the current immigration situation in Arizona and are yearning for a solution. However, I feel that the racist and classist implications that would result from SB-1070’s implementation indicate that a different strategy is in order.

You argue that it is wrong for people “to get away with committing a crime just because they are a different ethnicity.” I agree with you. In this vein, I wonder - will this law ensure equal prosecution of illegal immigrants, whether they have pale, brown, olive, black or any color of skin? Based on comments we discussed in class made by proponents of the law this appears to be unlikely. Supporters don’t deny that SB-1070 is targeted toward those of Mexican (and probably Central or South American) ancestry. I would argue that it is also targeted toward those of lower socioeconomic status. How likely is it that police officers will feel they have “reasonable cause” to interrogate a well-dressed, wealthy Asian/Caucasian/African person who is illegally residing in the US?

Second, while law enforcement is important, we shouldn’t examine it in a vacuum. It is equally, or even more important to consider the effects that biased laws, or biased law enforcement, have on the citizens which they are designed to protect and on society in general. For example, it is obviously good to enforce a general law against car theft – people shouldn’t have to worry that their cars will be stolen willy-nilly. On the other hand, disproportionately pulling over African Americans, and others with darker-than-Caucasian skin, is demeaning and racist, and breeds social discontent – hardly the goal the original authors of the law had in mind.

4. Hey Thunder,
    I agree with your point and I feel that this law will bring unjust actions against certain people based purely on their ethnicity. However, my whole point is can this be a problem that can actually be solved without discriminating? And since that discrimination is based on human initiative, I think it is impossible because humans are not perfect....sadly, but it does seem impossible. They are illegal in fact due to their ethnicity. So the act of making certain people illegal, or unlawful for them to enter the country based on them not being citizens of America because they are from another country, the reason is based on ethnicity in itself and in this specific sense how can you regulate it without being discriminative? If Europe was where Mexico is, would it be any different simply because the British are white rather then dark skinned? I would hope not and I don't think it would be. I think there would be similar immigration laws despite whichever country bordered us.

So in my opinion, discrimination is inevitable. It would be the same reason as if there were an amber alert in my neighborhood which had the police looking for a male that matched my identification. Was white, 220 lbs, 6 0 tall, etc. But because they are looking for a white male, does that qualify it as discrimination? It is the illegal act in itself which creates the problem of discrimination in this case of illegal immigrants. I am not saying it is right, because some things in this world are just unfair. But I do believe that it is a necessary evil simply because of the origin of the problem, and I am in favor of any alternative that would eliminate discrimination as an alternative solution. I am just sad to say I don't think there is one.

This page contains a single entry by Justin published on May 2, 2010 3:43 PM.

Sex Wars: Sex Workers' Advocacy Groups was the previous entry in this blog.

Girl Germs on Radio K! is the next entry in this blog.