Recently in Class News Category

Due Date for All Work

All work for the class--this includes the final project and your book review--is due by 3 PM on Wednesday, May 12. Good luck finishing everything up!

Check out this great event on Monday afternoon

deckercolloq.png

A few weeks ago we discussed having class at my house on the last week (more details on that soon). We also talked about moving the S Ahmed (for that week) to another time. After looking over the schedule, I have decided to mix up the readings a little for the next two weeks. Here is the new reading schedule:

Wednesday, April 21:
  • Munoz. "Cruising Optimism" (note: I have included the table of contents as a separate document in Web Vista)
  • Munoz. Review the intro to "Disidentifications"
  • Snediker. "Queer Optimism"
  • MLA Forum. "The Anti-Social Thesis in Queer Theory" (note: you only need to read 819- top 828 of the pdf)
  • Laclau/Mouffe. "Hope, passion, politics"
  • Spivak. "The Rest of the World"
Wednesday, April 28:
  • Ahmed, Sara. "Killing Joy: Feminism and the History of Happiness"
  • Ahmed, Sara. "Happiness and Queer Politics"
  • Aristotle. Excerpt from Nicomachean Ethics

timeouts.jpg
Here is the missing excerpt from Curiouser that Liz pointed out in her comments. It is the last page of the essay + the first page of notes. I have also added a scan of a kids' book on troublemaking to Web Vista that I would like us to discuss next week. The copy might require a lot of ink to print out, so I encourage you to just read it online. I will bring in the actual book next Wednesday.

Reading for next week (4/7)

For next week, we will be discussing nation traitors. In addition to the readings in our Web Vista folder (2 Puar, 1 Third, 2 parts--Munoz), you can access Valerie Solanas' Scum Manifesto here. Here are a few questions to think about:

• What differences do you see between traitorous identities and disidentification?
  • What tensions/conflicts (if any) do you see between Puar's articulation of terrorist and radical feminists like Solanas' (via Third)?
  • How do these conflicts speak to some tensions between feminist and queer projects of troublemaking?

The rest of the Willett reading...

So, there are 2 pages missing from the Willett reading posted on Web Vista. You can download them here.

Readings for after spring break

Hi everyone,

Happy Spring Break! I have posted the readings for next week on our Web Vista site. We will discuss 2 chapters of Kathleen Rowe's The Unruly Woman, a chapter from Cindy Willett's Irony in the Age of Empire and the article on Margaret Cho and the grotesque pussy. I also added in an optional chapter from Rowe (ch 2). The focus of our discussion is laughter and comedy and how they can enable us to be beside ourselves in ways that involve productive and/or transformative troublemaking. BTW, did we define what it means to be "beside oneself"? What do you think it is?

I hope you are enjoying the great weather! Sara

Butler Reading

Hi all, I was looking over the readings for tomorrow and noticed that one of the pages (23-24) of the Butler chapter from Frames of War was messed up. Here is a much better copy of the same page. See you tomorrow! Sara

Joan Tronto event

Hey everyone,

Join me for a Feminist Studies colloquium event with Joan Tronto on feminist ethics this upcoming Monday, March 8 in Ford 400 from 3:30-5:00. We will be discussing Dr. Tronto's paper, "What Counts as Democracy? Globalizing Care Ethics from the Bottom Up." We will also reflect on the larger question, "what is feminist ethics?"

You can access Dr. Tronto's paper here.

Spread the word. It should be a great event!

Readings for next week (3.10)

I have posted the readings on WebVista for the week. We are focusing on excess emotion and being beside oneself in terms of rage (Lorde, Lugones), grief (Butler) and shame (Halberstam, Ahmed, Pelle).

What connections can you draw between these texts? In what ways are they disconnected? What does it mean to be beside oneself with rage or grief? What sort of self are we when we are beside ourselves? How does it enable (or prevent) us from connecting with others? How is this troubling? A form of troublemaking?

Here are the readings:
  • Lugones, Maria. "Hard to Handle Anger" in Pilgrimages
  • Lorde, Audre. "The Uses of Anger" in Sister Outsider
  • Butler, Judith. "Beside Oneself" in Undoing Gender
  • Butler, Judith. "Introduction: Precarious Life, Grievable LIfe?" in Frames of War
  • Halberstam, Judith. "Shame and White Gay Masculinity"
  • Ahmed, Sara. "The Politics of Bad Feeling"
  • Ahmed, Sara. "Collective Feelings"
  • Pelle, Susan. "Grotesque Pussy"