Day One: January 19

Hello and welcome to contemporary feminist debates! In addition to all of the other ways we might be using this blog this semester, I thought I would experiment with using it as a space for organizing our individual class sessions. Here's what we are doing today in class:

INTRODUCTIONS

To the Class:

• Read over the syllabus (your handout is a condensed version of the longer syllabus, available for download soon on the syllabus page)
  • Overview of course topics

To me: Dr. Sara Puotinen

Photo 11-thumb-150x112-54061.jpg

Hi, I'm Sara or Dr. Puotinen. My preferred pronoun is she. I was born in Houghton, MI, but I have also lived in North Carolina, Virginia, Iowa, California and Georgia. I have a BA in religion (Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, MN), MA in ethics (Claremont School of Theology, Claremont, CA) and a PhD in Women's studies (Emory University, Atlanta, GA). My areas of research interest are: troublemaking, feminist and queer ethics, feminist pedagogies, queer theory (especially Judith Butler), feminist and queer social media (especially blogs).

Over break I read the Hunger Games trilogy and loved it. I also just (finally) watched Dr. Horrible last night on instant Netflix. I really enjoy teaching in the GWSS/GLBT department--and I especially love teaching classes on feminisms and debate! In addition to this class, I am teaching a graduate course on queer ethics and an undergraduate class on the politics of sex. 

I have been using blogs in my classroom since Spring 2007 and I have been writing on my own blogs since 2009. I started my first blog, a research/writing blog on making/being in/staying in trouble in May of 2009 and I started two more blogs, both collaborative diablogs, this summer. One is on breaking bad consumption habits and the other is on feminist pedagogy and blogging. The feminist pedagogy diablog, It's Diablogical!, has been particularly helpful and inspiring for me this summer. Since 2009, I have written extensively about the value of blogs and blogging in feminist and queer classrooms. In addition to tweeting as gwssprof, I also tweet as undisciplined.

I am really excited to see how we can use blogs/twitter in this class to explore and experiment with what feminism is and what it can/should do. 

To each other:

Tell us about yourself:

• Preferred name/pronoun
  • Hometown
  • Major
  • Favorite book or movie
  • Why you're taking this class
  • Experience with social media