COURSE SCHEDULE (subject to change)
jan 19 Introduction to Class
Discussion of feminist reflection paper assignment.
jan 24 Introduction to Blogging and Digital Media
Training Workshop on how to blog and tweet in the Rachel Raimist Feminist Media Center (Ford 468).
- Review my blog entry for class: How to blog, a primer
- Browse through our course blog and the course blog for last year's class
- Twitter Tales
jan 26 More on Blogging and Digital Media
- Puotinen, Sara. "Using Blogs in the Feminist Classroom"
- Puotinen, Sara and Kandace Creel Falcón. "Teaching with Blogs and Blogging While Teaching"
- Puotinen, Sara. "Why Blog?"
Distribute and discuss Blog Assignments.
jan 31 Feminism, Mass-based Education and Social Media
- hooks, bell. Excerpts from Feminism is for Everybody
- hooks, bell. Watch youtube clips from bell hooks
- Browse Incite! Women of Color Against Violence Website and Blog
- Browse Tweeting Feminists (if time, try listening to some podcasts here too)
- Gladwell, Malcolm. "Why the Revolution Won't Be Tweeted"
- Digiactive guide for Twitter
Distribute and discuss "State of the Issue" essay assignment. Sign-up for topics.
feb 2 Feminisms and Curiosity
- Enloe, Cynthia. "Being Curious about our Lack of Feminist Curiosity"
- Puotinen, Sara. "Why did we stop asking questions?"
- Overview of category: This is a feminist issue because...
- First entry/explanation: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/puot0002/3004/2010/01/this-is-a-feminist-issue-becausehaiti-earthquake.html
- Browse category: http://blog.lib.umn.edu/puot0002/3004/this-is-a-feminist-issue-because
DUE: Feminist reflection paper
feb 7 Feminisms and Discord
- Jagger, Alison. "Living with Contradictions"
- Castro, Joy. "On Becoming Educated"
- Nash, Jennifer C. "On Difficulty: Intersectionality as Feminist Labor"
- Ahmed, Sara. "Feminist Killjoys (and other willful subjects"
feb 9 Ruth Wilson Gilmore
- Gilmore, Ruth Wilson. Golden Gulag: Prisons, Surplus, Crisis, and Opposition in Globalizing California (Introduction, The Prison Fix, What is to be Done)
ISSUE ONE: REPRODUCTIVE RIGHTS AND CHOICE
feb 14 Reproductive Rights: Some Background
- Sanger, Margaret. "Birth Control--A Parents' Problem or Woman's? from Women and the New Race"
- PBS website for The pill: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/index.html
FILM: The Pill
feb 16 Fighting for rights, but at what cost?
- Roberts, Dorothy. Excerpt from "The Dark Side of Birth Control"
- Briggs, Laura. Excerpt from "Discourses of 'Forced Sterilizations' in Puerto Rico"
feb 21 Class cancelled due to snow
feb 23 Reproductive Rights: What is choice? Who gets to choose? What choices?
- Ross, Loretta J. "The Color of Choice"
- Crews, Allison. "And So I Chose" also available on WebVista
- Sayce, Liz and Rachel Perkins. "They should not breed: Feminism, disability and reproductive rights"
- "Language: On choice"
- Smith, Andrea. "Beyond Pro-Choice Versus Pro-Life: Women of Color and Reproductive Justice"
feb 28 On Choice, continued...
- Mingus, Mia. "On Claiming my Movement: Disability and Reproductive Justice"
- The Crunk Feminist Collective. "What's Love Got to Do with it? Attacks on Reproductive Justice"
- Asian Communities for Reproductive Justice. "A new vision for advancing our movement for reproductive health, reproductive rights, and reproductive justice"
march 2 Peer Review/(almost) midterm check-in
ISSUE TWO: LABOR AND LIBERATION
march 7 Liberation from Housework?
- Friedan, Betty. "The Problem That Has No Name"
- Syfers, Judy. "Why I Want a Wife"
- Ehrenreich, Barbara. Excerpt from "Maid to Order"
- Bose, Christine E. "The Interconnections of Paid and Unpaid Domestic Work"
march 9 The Nanny Problem
- Tronto, Joan. "The Nanny Problem"
march 14/16 SPRING BREAK
march 21 Workers continued...
- Hothschild, Arlie. "Love and Gold"
- 2010 Feminist Debates Course Blog. "Who are...Undocumented Workers?"
march 23 Domestic workers and invisible labor
film: Maid in America
march 28 Workers as agents, not victims
- Various articles/videos on Domestic Worker Safety and Dignity Project
- Handagneu-Sotelo. "Cleaning Up a Dirty Business"
- Focus on the La Colectiva Campaign: http://www.lacolectivasf.org
march 30 Wrap up, reflection, strategizing
ISSUE THREE: FAMILIES, VALUES AND FEMINIST MOVEMENT
april 4 Family Values: Some Background
- Collins, Patricia Hill. "It's All in the Family: Intersections of Gender, Race and Nation"
STATE OF THE ISSUE PAPERS FOR WORK/LABOR DUE TODAY.
april 6 Feminist and Queer Family Values
- Selections from Feminist Family Values Forum
- Pardo, Mary.
- Browse Queers for Economic Justice website
april 11 Youth/Children and Values
- Martin, Karin. "William Wants a Doll"
- Berstein, Susan David. "Transparent"
film clips: Free to be...you and me and Tomboy
april 13 Blog Day
april 18 Families, Unvalued
- Chávez, Karma. "Border (In)Securities: Normative and Differential Belonging in LGBTQ and Immigrant Rights Discourse
- Immigration Equality. Family, Unvalued 7-18, 135-144, closely skim 46-91
SPECIAL EVENT: Karma Chávez with Daniel C. Brouwer and Charles E. Morris III. News from our Families: At the Borders
April 18th 7pm
20 Wrap-up, reflection, strategizing
25 Discussing Final Assignments
STATE OF THE ISSUE PAPERS FOR FEMINIST FAMILY VALUES DUE TODAY
27 Discussing Final Assignments
GROUP RESOURCE PROJECTS MUST BE POSTED BY TODAY
4 Presentations/Final Wrap-up