Diablog #3. Initial Post.

The Abortion Gang website gives a range of topics to discuss. Considering the other websites that were required reading for this week, the October 24th post on White Privilege and Reproductive Rights is an important topic. All of the other websites were surrounding education and support for reproductive rights for women of color and indigenous women. Sister Song supports women of all cultural backgrounds with white allies, ACRJ is for women from Asian communities, and The Native Youth Sexual Health Network supports indigenous women. I believe the ACRJ sums up all of these groups goals the best with their mission statement: "We believe reproductive justice will be achieved when all people have the economic, social and political power and resources to make healthy decisions about our gender, bodies and sexuality for ourselves, our families and our communities". It is easy to forget that access is a huge part of reproductive justice. Access to education, organizations, birth control, medical care providers, etc are all factors that should be considered. These organizations are providing these outlets to women that may not otherwise have the ability to receive these services. This presents an interesting discussion about how socioeconomic status and culture come into play for reproductive rights. If you look at the October 24th post and its comments, it made me think of a lot about white privilege. I think many people are wary of approaching this topic because of being perceived as racist or too entitled to understand the idea that white privilege exists. I feel as though this is a good topic when discussing reproductive justice because it is so multifaceted. History, status, socioeconomics, location, education, involvement are all factors of how reproductive justice is viewed in society today.

I definitely agree that these organizations may provide resources to young women, but do you think such SPECIFIC networks and their missions umbrella too small of a niche/target market? Or is that the whole point: that women of a certain ethnicity or culture have that group of commonality to reach out to when in need?

I will have to agree with power269. When trying to incorporate reproductive rights for all women, you do have to take social background and race in to account. However, just focusing on one subset of women and ignoring the others will not provide very effective results. Also, there seems to be no coordination between the groups and that is also an issue in itself. It is great that these organizations are recognizing the need for attention to all women but we need to take it a step futher.