Feminist Social Media Assessment

While our presentation was slightly atypical in that it diverged from what we generally today consider to be social media, I remain rather pleased with what we were able to accomplish and (I think successfully) convey through our presentation on Stacey Ann Chin and (more broadly) the capacity of spoken word to act as and/or function similarly to more conventional forms of social media such as Twitter or Facebook.

I actually very much deeply regret that I was unable to conduct myself as adequately as I had hoped during our presentation-proper; I very much choked in the face of our enormous class size, and for this I apologize! In any event, I had been within my own group specifically tasked to explore spoken word's potential as a form of radical pedagogical praxis, and actually found much more in the way of support of this notion and actual evidence than I was able to articulate during the presentation itself. More specifically, spoken word's potential as a form of liberatory pedagogical praxis very much comes from its responsiveness to the community in which it is created; in excess of this, spoken word is very much Responding to a specific group of individuals for whom the artfulness and sophistication of spoken word and hip hop is readily accepted, for whom more "conventional" mediums might be alienating by way of their deliberate resting upon racialized and class-based metrics and understandings. Additionally, it draws a considerable amount of power from its inherent accessibility; contrary to mediums such as social media (as we understand it) exists within the world-proper.

Although I am certainly satisfied with our presentation overall, I would very much tend to concur with Serita's point- while I can certainly see the value in educating students on the business of social media and its growing relationship to social justice movements across the board (more specifically insofar as it relates to the nature of more contemporary progressive discourses), I would have loved to have explored other divergent means of feminist discourse and praxis. More specifically, why not explore folks like Stacey Ann Chin and the potential of spoken word, why not touch down on Boal and Theatre of the Oppressed, or any of the other, myriad forms of expression that can be used to the advantage if contemporary feminists?

Where are the zines at???

Yeah, where are the zines at?! Funny thing: I actually really wanted to do something related to zines for our group presentation! But, decided not to because it didn't "fit" too neatly into social media. On a different note, you bring up some really awesome points here that I too am reflecting on. Thanks for sharing!

What makes a presentation standing out from the rest is namely the atypical approach that it has been created with- the jury is always thirsty for innovations, provocations and courageously new forms.
Man and a Van