This is a Feminist Issue Because... Feminist Ryan Gosling Reaffirms Primacy of Hegemonic Western Feminisms

While I'm reasonably positive that someone has already posted on the subject of our friend Feminist Ryan Gosling (whose exploits in inaccessibly dense and needlessly verbose Western academic feminism can be found at feministryangosling.tumblr.com), it is I think essential to take a step back and more carefully consider precisely what it is we are defining as feminism in this context- I would caution that, with gems such as "Hey girl. Considering how she positions narrative devices as tools used to frame masculinity and translate gender across geopolitical locations, I just can't figure out why Jasbir Puar isn't ruling the entire world right now," "hey girl. We don't need arbitrary beauty archetypes steeped in historically biased ideologies pumped out to use by mediocre, archaic forms of media to define our sexiness," and "hey girl. When he said it was possible to talk about cultural marginalization and borderlands WITHOUT mentioning Gloria Anzaldua I was like 'oh no you didn't'!", it becomes fairly unrelentingly clear that this particular meme is privileging a very specific of feminism (and in addition to this what it means to actually be a feminist or engage in feminist praxis), which is decidedly the hegemonic variant. Additionally, there are likewise ways in which this meme makes some fairly unsavory assumptions about the nature of the reader, such as the ways in which is very ostensibly assumes cis-ness inherent to the reader, as well as some similarly unsavory racial and class assumptions. Very basically, while I can appreciate that this meme might be amusing for those already "in the know" with respect to academic feminism, it is exceptionally alienating to those coming into feminism cold, and very much reaffirms extant criticisms of elitism coming from outside the walls of academia.

Ahhhh! I love what you say, and I couldn't agree more. Thanks for bringing this imperative analysis to our attention.