YouTube Activity

Using YouTube in the Classroom - Handout-1.docx

Using YouTube in the Classroom Class Exercise

Brought to you by: Erin Cole, Alissa Ehmke, John Lisec, and Jenny Saplis

Description:
As groups or individuals, you get to collect or produce a series of videos (2-3) useful for bringing feminist or liberatory pedagogy into your own classroom. Video series can be built around a theme that is appropriate to your specific area of study or interest. Don't limit your selves to just classroom examples, but think broadly about the potential of YouTube. Learners can use the YouTube Blog as a Resource Sheet to locate places to find these videos. If learners opt to record themselves, cameras will be available as will information as to how to post.

The intended participants:
This activity engages learners both inside and outside the classroom through social media. By using social media, we link groups that do not typically engage with each other. This activity will take place in the Digital Learning Lab on 4th floor in Ford Hall. Each learner will have access to the computers and built in cameras. Class size doesn't matter as much as having access to the computer with Internet and/or cameras. When applying it to an undergraduate classroom, the assignment could be changed to finding something useful for a paper or presentation.

Goals:
Our goal in this activity is to acknowledge all voices, and to give students the option to engage with a larger audience outside the classroom. Also this project is a way to expand the notion of a classroom. The value of this assignment (for our seminar) is that it would start a sort of mini-syllabus of videos for the participants.

Strengths:
Students wouldn't need access to the resources outside the classroom and they could engage with a large audience. Also, this would provide an opportunity for teachers to enhance student-learning experience by accessing video within course websites or blogs (e.g. supplemental recorded online lectures, relevant videos to subject area). It can allow students to gain additional perspective by authors read within class (e.g. bell hooks lecture). And it is all FREE!

Limitations: Learners need to have access to computers with Internet and possibly cameras. Another limitation is that the WWW changes constantly so resources may disappear. A challenge may be to get learners to buy in to YouTube as an educational source instead of just a bunch of funny cat videos.

To kick us off, three ad parodies with a critical perspective:

Michael Martin Presents: The Cliche Family in Television Land (1960s)

Brontë Sisters Power Dolls

Lakota Spoof (parody of Canadian ad)

Another excellent resource for video in the classroom: The Sociological Cinema
http://www.thesociologicalcinema.com/index.html

These folks tuned in to some of our twitter conversation today, and I can't believe I didn't think to point out the site before now!

The Sociological Cinema looks like a very intresting and useful resource, I only wish they would post videos more often

Talking about other resources, I would suggest the TED talks, as I said in class yersterday.

Here is the website: http://www.ted.com/
They have amazing stuff there! I find this website very useful, specially when I want to start a discussion between the classroom and those great minds outside...

This here is one of my favorite videos: Ken Robinson talking about "Schools kill creativity". This video is worthwhile!!!

He also wrote the book "Out of our minds: learning to be creative". Very interesting and totally connected with many issues that we discussed in our class.

Some youtube examples
Of course, after class, I came up with tons of youtube videos that I would love to use in a…
Final statement - 00bserver and Rhetoricqueline
Megan Boler probably didn't anticipate her chapter about "a pedagogy of discomfort" would be so deeply "experienced" in a Feminist…
Social Pharmacy in Brazil: another pedagogical example
I remember one of the exercises we used to do with pharmacy students in Brazil... that was a good example…