Recently in Youtube Category

Some youtube examples

Of course, after class, I came up with tons of youtube videos that I would love to use in a class (and will probably use in the future). Here is one set:

Representations of Black Masculinity

I think that these commercials for Old Spice could generate some productive conversations about representations of masculinity in relation to race, class and sexuality. The first one features the viral phenomenon, the "Old Spice Guy." It debuted last February. 

The second commercial was posted on youtube a month after the first. What differences do you see between the representations of black masculinity here? (How) is that reflected in the different products they are selling? 

I just found this final commercial on the old spice website. It was posted on youtube this past October. 

This video is made by "Las Ramonas." They are a collective of students, "ARTivists" teachers, feministas that often share socially and politically conscious teatro at local community events. In this clip, they poke fun at the politics of representation found in the mainstream media. It is interesting to note their use of images used to create a particular Chicana identity, distinct from what the grrls see in the commericial in the beginning.

"Los Rasquachis" episode one comes from a series of video made by Tejano artists/activists/student/professors that highlight "guera the internally colonized chihuahua" while she participates in Cinco de Mayo festivities. This is a great critique that speaks to the stereotypes and dominant narratives of Latinas/os in the U.S.

This is Cihuatl Ce's performance at the annual "farce of july" celebration that occurs at local East L.A. community space, Self-Help Graphics. Her first performance is "I was born to be defiant" where we find that she asserts her Xicana feminist identity through music. This video is a wonderful look the importance of voicing feminisms.

YouTube Activity

Using YouTube in the Classroom - Handout-1.docx

Using YouTube in the Classroom Class Exercise

Brought to you by: Erin Cole, Alissa Ehmke, John Lisec, and Jenny Saplis

Description:
As groups or individuals, you get to collect or produce a series of videos (2-3) useful for bringing feminist or liberatory pedagogy into your own classroom. Video series can be built around a theme that is appropriate to your specific area of study or interest. Don't limit your selves to just classroom examples, but think broadly about the potential of YouTube. Learners can use the YouTube Blog as a Resource Sheet to locate places to find these videos. If learners opt to record themselves, cameras will be available as will information as to how to post.

The intended participants:
This activity engages learners both inside and outside the classroom through social media. By using social media, we link groups that do not typically engage with each other. This activity will take place in the Digital Learning Lab on 4th floor in Ford Hall. Each learner will have access to the computers and built in cameras. Class size doesn't matter as much as having access to the computer with Internet and/or cameras. When applying it to an undergraduate classroom, the assignment could be changed to finding something useful for a paper or presentation.

Goals:
Our goal in this activity is to acknowledge all voices, and to give students the option to engage with a larger audience outside the classroom. Also this project is a way to expand the notion of a classroom. The value of this assignment (for our seminar) is that it would start a sort of mini-syllabus of videos for the participants.

Strengths:
Students wouldn't need access to the resources outside the classroom and they could engage with a large audience. Also, this would provide an opportunity for teachers to enhance student-learning experience by accessing video within course websites or blogs (e.g. supplemental recorded online lectures, relevant videos to subject area). It can allow students to gain additional perspective by authors read within class (e.g. bell hooks lecture). And it is all FREE!

Limitations: Learners need to have access to computers with Internet and possibly cameras. Another limitation is that the WWW changes constantly so resources may disappear. A challenge may be to get learners to buy in to YouTube as an educational source instead of just a bunch of funny cat videos.

Youtube and Digital Ethnography

I have mentioned this earlier on the blog, but I have listed again the videos describing the work of Youtube and digital ethnography from Michael Wesch at Kansas State University. He provides excellent background to current and future possibilities of Youtube. Enjoy!

You Tube Resources

YouTube Resources.docx

This is collection of YouTube Resources by the YouTube team of Alissa, Erin, John and Jenny.

Pedagogical question for 12/15

Well folks, better late than never! I was taking my first PhD prelim exam during this weekend, so I appologize for being late in posting my question. So, here we go:

I totally agree with Ashley Falzetti when she says that videos can make the theoretical points more palatable. Barbeau also makes a point that YouTube can be interpreted in the same ways as a standard text. She argues that students need both the tangible page and hypermedia on the readings list: "solely reading and deconstructing scholarly articles (..., underprepares them (students) for their interactions outside of class and their future careers". However, she (Barbeau) take a step ahead emphasizing that "today's learners have become accustomed to multitasking as a way of life; emphasis on doing rather than knowing; greater familiarity with typing rather than handwriting; the importance of staying connected (...) and reliance on the web as the primary source of information. Grabbing a dictionary to look up the definition of a word or going to the library to check out a book for a research paper is laborious when Google is a few clicks away".

Then, my question is: what if we consider solely watching and deconstructing visual media in our pedagogical practices? Since all we need is availabe (?) a few clicks away, do we really need to save the 'tangible pages'? If yes, how can we do it in a engaging and useful way? Which risks we might face having an "imbalance" in either directions?