« Reflections on Spaces | Main | Engaging Assignment #5 »

Safe Space?

In my compiling of the list of locations I inhabit on a daily basis, surprisingly, none of them feel unsafe to me. Unless I am alone at night, I usually do not question whether or not my surroundings could be particularly threatening to me.

My Dorm Room: This is a personal space where I live everyday, surrounded by my own belongings and a roommate whom I trust. The doors lock when I want them to and I rarely feel unsafe here. I think this would apply to a member of the GLBT community as well. Besides the sparse mentioning of the rape of a young girl in my residence hall last year, I rarely feel unsafe here in the dorms.

Women’s Restroom: Again, at the dorms. A single sex restroom in which I always feel welcome and safe. As far as a I know, the residence hall conforms to a binary gender system in relation to bathroom assignment. This could be considered unsafe and or at least uncomfortable for someone who is not entirely considers “normally gendered? by common society standards.

My home and hometown of Milwaukee: This is a place I have always felt comfortable and safe in. I live in a relatively quiet neighborhood that has never had problems with crime until recently. The gay couple down the block has been robbed and assaulted by intruders twice in the last year and I have a hard time believing this is a coincidence. I have always felt I lived in an accepting community, but through the eyes of a GLBT individual, I am not so sure.

The U of M campus: This place feels especially accepting to me because of the diverse age, race, religious and sexually orientated population here at the University. Depending on the people encountered, the categorization of safe or unsafe for a GLBT person is up in the air.

I feel this is the way a lot of these spaces can be looked at. I would like to believe that this campus is a safe place for all its students, but then again hate crimes and general discrimination still runs rampant in modern America. I hope one day to live in a world where all people, regardless of their skin, gender, or identity in general, can feel safe.