« Safe spaces | Main | Due date extended for final critical responses + annotated bibliography »

Safe Spaces - Kim Hanlon

Places I feel safe include:
My apartment
My girlfriend's house
Caribou (work 1)
Parent's house
Warehouse (work 2)

I feel safe in the places I visit most often. I try to steer away from those places that I do not feel safe at. Some of the places that I do not feel safe include certain sporting events, straight bars, and certain restaurants. I do not feel safe at these places because I get this sense of threat. The sense stems from mostly the feeling of the straight men around me who I get the sense of that they feel somewhat, somehow, threatened by me being in the same space as them. I do not know what it is, but it is just this lingering feeling that I get when I am around certain people. I try and stay away from such people, but I do not go out of my way to in any way, shape or form change my plans because of such people. I will not change where I sit because of them, but I also do not go out of my way to make my presence overly known to them either. I will say that I do feel most safe around other queer/GLBT people and/or atmospheres. It is just a sense of belonging and feeling accepted and "normal". One place where I thought I would feel the most inclusive, but where I have found that I am more of an outsider than anything else, is around my hockey team and community including staff. The one place where I thought for sure I would feel accepted and included I feel more pushed away. Some of them acknowledge me and my sexuality, but others avoid and make me feel more like a non-member than anyone else. It is saddening to me, but it is what it is.