Due date extended for final critical responses + annotated bibliography

In class this past Tuesday, I extended the deadline for your final critical responses and your annotated bibliography. You may turn them in (without penalty) as late as (but no later) than 5 PM on Friday 12/12. You may turn in hard copies to my mailbox in FORD 425 or email them as word documents. Please save them in an earlier version of word (not docx). I will also accept other assignments (engaging assignments, extra credit) up until that date, although those assignments will be marked down for lateness.

Transgender Day of Rememberence

Thought this might intrest some of you!

Thurs, Nov 20
11:30 AM - 1:30 PM
Coffman Union Ground Floor
Food Court Area

Transgender Day of Remembrance Actions
Thurs, Nov 20
3:00 - 5:30 PM
Ford Hall 440
(GWSS Lounge)
Screaming of Boy I Am

Articles for next week from The Nation

Here are the additional readings from The Nation that I mention in the revised syllabus for next week:
The Marriage Issue
Can Marriage Be Saved?

These articles are taken from the July 5, 2004 issue of The Nation. You can access more articles from this special issue on marriage through E journals on the UofM library website. Just click on the E Journals link at the top of the page under "welcome." Then, search for The Nation (hint: also click on starts with instead of contains). Then, put in the issue information.

More information on the film, "Boy I Am"

Here is the description from the film's website.

Boy I Am:
While female-to-male transgender visibility has recently exploded in this country, conversations about trans issues in the lesbian community often run into resistance from the many queer women who view transitioning as a "trend" or as an anti-feminist act that taps into male privilege. Boy I Am is a feature-length documentary that begins to break down that barrier and promote dialogue about trans issues through a look at the experiences of three young transitioning FTMs in New York City—Nicco, Norie and Keegan—as they go through major junctures in their transitions, as well as through the voices of lesbians, activists and theorists who raise and address the questions that many people have but few openly discuss.

Upcoming film event/extra credit possibility

Transgender Commission Gender Discussion
genderheads: gender i am
Thurs, Nov 20, 3:00-5:30 PM
Location TBA

Join us on the Trans Day of Remembrance for a screening of the documentary Boy I Am, followed by a facilitated discussion of gender identity, expression, performance, and the intersections of our identities as part of the ongoing genderheads series. Snacks and refreshments will be provided!

Class this Week (11.4)

Hi all,

Last week we finished discussing the Bornstein and watched a long clip from the documentary "After Stonewall" about queer activism and AIDS. This week we will briefly continue our discussion of "Queers Read This/I Hate Straight" and "Punks, Bulldaggers and Welfare Queens."

Here are some changes that I announced last week:
1. This week we will begin the ethics section by focusing on dignity. We will either watch "Cruel and Unusual" or "Toilet Training." And we will discuss the Bill of Gender Rights.
2. The following week (11.11), we will discussing and reading about intersexuality.
3. You are required to write one of your critical responses on Queers Read This, "Punks, Bulldaggers, and Welfare Queens," "Queer Nation" OR "Queer Aztlan". Reflect on the following questions: What is queer? What is the radical/transformative potential of queer activism? Also, think about this topic in relation to the film clip that we watched. This critical response is due 11.18 (not 11.11).

See you tomorrow. Remember to vote!!
-Sara

Reminder on how to blog...

1. Go to U Think.
2. Click on Login to UThink
3. Put in your user id (ex: puot0002)and password
4. You are now on the moveable type page. You should find a link to our class. Click on GLBT 1001 (not the URL but the other link). If you do not have a link to our class, please email me and I will add you as an author.
5. Click on new entry (it is on the top right hand side under posting).
6. Type in your entry. Scroll down to the bottom and hit save. You're done!

Next week's class

It sounds like the Kate Bornstein event was amazing. Maybe we can spend the first 15 minutes or so talking about it (and your engaging assignment #3).

Reminder:
-Engaging Assignment #3 is due on the blog (or handed in to me) by Tuesday, 10/28
-Your topic for the annotated bibliography is due on Tuesday, 10/28

If you are having any problems coming up with a topic, email me (or post on the blog) for suggestions.

Sara

Engaging Assignment #3 due 10/28

Engaging Assignment #3 is now due 10/28 instead of 10/21. You have two options for it:

1. Follow the assignment as it is described in the revised syllabus
or
2. Attend one of the many Kate Bornstein events and write about it.

Reminder: Check the blog!

If you have missed class or are missing an assignment, please check the blog. I will post class news and handouts/assignments here for you to download.

Critical Response Topics...

To keep it simple, you can use your critical responses as a way to offer a general overview and critical reflection on a particular reading from class (following the directions on the critical response handout). However, if you are feeling stuck and want some ideas for particular ways to engage with the readings, here are some possible topics for your critical responses:

1. What is transgender? How is it different from transsexual? You could look at how Strkyer and/or Feinberg define the term.
2. What are some tensions within the GLBT community? You could look at the history of tensions between lesbians and transfolk in Stryker and/or WeissOR tensions between gays/lesbians and bisexuals in Garber and/or Weiss.
3. Why is gender important? You could look at Riki Wilchins and her discussion of gender in Queer Theory/Gender Theory: An Instant Primer.
4. What is sex? Does it have a history? How does it relate to gender? You could look at Wilchins and her chapter, "Can Sex Have Opposites?" and/or David Valentine's "the categories themselves."
5. What are the heterosexual/homosexual binary and the gender binary? Why are they problems (for bisexuals/transfolk)? Garber, Stryker and Wilchins all talk about these binaries.
6. Why is claiming transgender history important to Stryker? To Feinberg?
7. What is gender? Look at Kate Bornstein's discussions in Gender Outlaw or My Gender Workbook.

Thoughts for next week…

Because we had to end class a little abruptly this week, we didn’t really get to talk about the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival. If you want to know more about the MWMF/trans controversy, check out this website. If you want to know about the trans community’s response, check out Camp Trans. Both the controversy surrounding Janice Raymond’s book The Transsexual Empire and the continuing conflict at the Michigan Womyn’s Music Festival (MWMF) raise important questions about community and, most importantly for next week’s class, gender/sexual identity. In different ways, Raymond and organizers of the MWMF present us with an essential gender identity of “woman? which is directly linked to biology and “sex?: “real women? are biologically born as women.

In next week’s class, we will begin exploring how transgender and queer activists/scholars are complicating the explicit connection between sex (the body/biology) and gender. We will ask questions like: Does sex have a history? How are sex and gender connected? And what role does gender play in our understandings and representations of sexuality (particularly in terms of categories like butch and femme)?

GLBT issues in presidential debate- ex. cred assg.

http://www.thetaskforceactionfund.org/studies_analyses/final_candidates_positions.pdf

They didn't get into GLBT issues last night on the debate, but I found a really great website that lays out what each candidate stance on GLBT issues. In looking at the website above, I found that neither candidate supports same sex marriages but Obama does support other GLBT issues that McCain does not, such as same-sex adoption, lifting the military ban, and including transgendered in hate crime laws.

GLBT Lecture

GLBT POLITICS: EQUALITY OR DIVISION? LECTURE BY SUZANNE PHARR*
The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Programs Office is sponsoring
"GLBT Politics: equality or division?". This is a lecture by Suzanne Pharr,
author of "Homophobia: a weapon of sexism".

GLBT Politics Lecture
Thursday, Oct. 2
7:30 PM
3M Auditorium in Carlson School of Management

Free & Dessert reception to follow

Note: If you attend and write a 1-2 page summary of the event, you can get extra points added to your participation grade!

Reminder on how to blog…

1. Go to U Think.
2. Click on Login to UThink

Transgender History is in and other news…

Stryker's Transgender History book is in. Please read the assigned chapters from it for Tuesday's class. The course packet is also in. It is at Paradigm copies in the Dinkydome. Here is their website address, if you have any questions about where it is, etc.

Also, here is the revised reading schedule (the one that I handed out in class this past week).

One more thing:
If you would like to post your engaging assignment as a blog entry, here is
how you do it:

1. Go to U Think.
2. Click on Login to UThink
3. Put in your user id (ex: puot0002)