Gender: Annotated Bibliography #2 in Moving Images!

Sara, I've got a new internet euphemism for you: the International Network of Worldwide Computers.

The INoWwC Presents
Gender: An Annotated Bibliography in Moving Images!

Works Cited (full citations in video):
Butler, Judith. "Undiagnosing Gender."
Chess, Simone et al. "Calling All Restroom Revolutionaries!"
Clare, Eli. "Stolen Bodies, Reclaimed Bodies."

Wow! I finally had a chance to watch all of four of your video segments. Although it was really hard to hear/understand you at the beginning, it did get a little easier as the videos progressed. As I was watching it, I found myself wondering about the length of this entry. Is it too long? Initially, I was inclined to think so--at about 30 minutes, this vlog is quite a commitment for the viewer/blog reader! But as I think about it some more, I wonder what would it get lost if you had made this shorter (which would have most likely involved making choices about what parts of your engagement with the sources and your representation of that engagement were most important)? Would a time limit also limit your ability to engage/express that engagement?

I am curious: What do you think about the experience of doing this vlog? What would you do differently next time? What did you learn through the experience? If/when I encourage students to do video blog assignments in future classes, what should I tell them about the process?

As far as the 30 minute vlog being too demanding for the viewer -- I don't think it is. I admit the sound issue was a bit frustrating at times, but mostly because there were parts that were really getting interesting, and then I couldn't hear everything that was said ... But the whole vlog was pretty great, really (and to be honest, I probably would have bi-passed it had it been just a regular entry). Anyway, I especially liked your discussion of people with (dis)abilities and their (in)accessibility around campus -- it relates very well with your discussion of bathrooms. And you're right, nobody wants to talk about either of these issues (unless you're like me and you love talking about piss and shit and other such pleasantries). It's interesting to talk about abjection in relation to bathroom (in)accessibility (what with all the 'shitty' commonalities) and the (in)accessibility of numerous other places that I take for granted on a daily basis. In fact, I consider my accessibility to public bathrooms, especially, to be a given -- my body demands that necessity, and so does everybody else's. This discussion of what's accessible to whom and who's being ignored on the basis of convenience (...certain people's convenience anyway) reveals the pangs of abjection (there are of course delights as well) -- to be invisible, unintelligible, uncomfortable for normative bodies to think about, advocate for, (god forbid) talk about, is to be rendered subhuman, inhuman, unworthy of civility or decency-- to be expelled. This is the unlivable space, where accessible entrance does not exist for abject bodies.

First: Sara and M., thanks for watching.

Sara: It was quite a commitment for the "creator" as well! I don't know that I could have kept nearly as many connective points in this had I trimmed it down any more. Perhaps, though, with a longer relationship with the texts in question (among others) established, I could be more articulate and condensed in my wording. A time limit would definitely have stopped me from fooling around/really letting a lot of this come "off the cuff" as I did-- and that wouldn't be all bad. I do think with Youtube's limit of 10 minutes/upload, that would be a "reasonable" limit to set. If focused on 3 texts, and summarizing each in less than 2 minutes, I could theoretically do whatever I fancy with the remaining 4 minutes! Woo! Perhaps if more connections were to be drawn (and I even have some more after creating this monster), it would suffice to write as needed in addition to the video.

This was a blast, but I have to say that (maybe I'm just slow) it took me too many hours to plan, create, edit, publish, and upload. In the end, it really sucked my energy away from other things. I could have done better with the sound had I not been shooting it while everyone else in my apartment was sleeping, and thus not checking clips as I recorded them in order to be polite. I might try doing this during the "day" or in the FMC, but I also might be embarrassed by the thought of someone catching me. Strange. I think I learned most about being more attentive to my tech stuff, and I was reminded that video really takes a lot of time (though somehow I thought this would take less time than other video, whatever that means).

I think you should tell future students precisely that last bit-- it can be a time consuming process-- but at the same time I would stress that it was rewarding and FUN. It was like planning for a notecard-outlined presentation (on a fascinating subject), and I really enjoyed trying to teach in some of the ways I want to in the future. I never let myself try to restate anything, and only made cuts on word fumbles and at what I considered the ends of certain points. It forced me to talk in the open ways I try to in class, except without anyone to either cut me off or help me out, which has its obvious advantages and disadvantages. I do want to learn in relation to all these other great minds in our class, but I'm still granted that interaction after the event of shooting/editing/publishing/uploading. In making the video, I had even less of a chance to censor my words or to revise them to sound more eloquent than I do when I type.

M.: It's really great to have someone around who enjoys the bathroom talk as much as I do. I think that's an entirely different story in the context of our class, and I absolutely love our vulgarity/divinity. We all need to piss and shit, and it's fucking gross and awesome, and we should all have access to ways to take care of that safely, in peace, and with dignity. Right on? Right on. I'm totally digging your connection to abjection here, because I think I can totally see where you're taking it. In this bathroom (now, no pun intended) access inner circle (and I'm guessing in many others), the entrance is literally inaccessible to many-- those openings have high thresholds, narrow doors, gendered symbols, and so many other barriers which either necessitate remodeling changes on the part of the exclusionary space/idea (my ideal) or, though not always possible, a sort of assimilation/passing for the abject. Thank you so much for laying out these connections. You would (already do) make one rad restroom revolutionary.