III) Blogging Process

In the process of tracking the term performativity through blogging, I was able to see other students' posts through a lens of performativity, and draw connections between all of the terms.
The process of writing on the blog was helpful for this course in the sense that I was able to further my understanding of other terms through the extensive base of information presented in students posts' and collective participation in the blog. The blog was not helpful in the sense that, for me personally, there was too much information on the blog for me to read and sort through, causing me to feel overwhelmed about participating on the blog. I personally learn best in direct and intimate settings (like a small class), where discussions can take place and questions and ideas can get flushed-out with the professor and other students. The blog was helpful for posting links and videos that you can't do in a discussion, but beyond that I generally felt that the material we were discussing in class was not directly related to the required blog participation. This caused me to feel overwhelmed, and I think there was a little too much discussion going between class and the blog which I couldn't keep up with all of it. I have never been a fan of blogs previous to this course, so I suppose that did not help promote a positive outlook on the blog component of the course for me either. I would advise future students to allow a lot more time than they think that they'll need for readings and blog assignments, because there is so much information to sort through and engage with.
Queering and queer theory attempts to question norms, reclaim abjected spaces and identities, and construct new dialogues for ideas about identification, boundaries, passing, temporality, and resistance. In a similar way, because blogging happens in the digital sphere and is not bound by temporal and spatial boundaries, blogging has the potential to claim space for new dialogues about queering theory that is accessible and consumable by many people that might not otherwise have access to queering information or queer dialogue space. On the other hand, I think it is important to remember that much like the way that power always operates above, in, and from all areas of identity, blogging and digital space is dictated by systems of power as well. Blogging is privileged to those who can consume and participate in the dialogues (i.e. - written language barriers, physical and intellectual ability), those who have access to the technological resources to be able to participate in the blog, and those who have the available free time to participate.
Our blog allowed us to create a space for a dialogue of queering theory to happen between students and outside readers and participants. Through the 'Queer This!' section, we were able to engage in the practice of queering norms presented in other digital spaces.

This blog was sometimes overwhelming for me too! One thing I mentioned at the beginning of the class was that I didn't expect you all to read everything that was on the blog, but to engage with what you could and what you found to be compelling/thought-provoking. I envisioned the blog as a space to continue conversations or create new understandings for students who wanted them; the blog would serve as something to enhance our class. But the blog became very central to our class. When I set out with this blog experiment way back in September (and as I dreamed it up last summer), I didn't know how cool or overwhelming or crucial it would be. Next time I teach this class I will work the blog into our discussion and make it part of our reading for class instead of in addition to other readings (many of which were really chewy bagels).