Queer the Census

While the census, along with many other official legal documents strictly upholds the gender dichotomy male/female.The National Gay and Lesbian Task Force is sending our free stickers to seal your census envelope that demand recognition for transgender, bisexual, and straight ally citizenship in the form of boxes to be checked. It's not just that there should probably be more categories to choose from, as this is no where near a comprehensive list of genders; perhaps it is the question what exactly are we being counted and systematically categorized for exactly. Why must we literally occupy many little boxes, fit a categorical identity in order to be intelligible as a flag.bmp flying citizen?queerthecensus.JPG

I can only begin to imagine the ways this data would be used. Projections that currently exist for numbers of transgender people are usually based on the people who "seek treatment" in the form of hormones and/or surgery. Some folks have expanded on these estimates using the formula that 10% (or less, I believe) of trans-identified folks (based on all sorts of other data about class, race, etc.) actually seek out these services.

What becomes interesting to me are notions of public vs. private. I wonder, would everyone feel safe and comfortable self-identifying on the census? What if the "census" is the first "person" you come out to? How "private" is this information, or would a move like this in fact reinforce some similar creepiness to that of real ID bullshit?

I saw this on another post and it made me smile
Old aunts used to come up to me at weddings, poke me in the ribs and cackle, telling me, “You’re next.” They stopped after I started doing the same thing to them at funerals.