wrap it up

1. Resistance is about pushing against, pushing back, walking away, questioning, collective outrage, and silence. That is it. Only kidding people, this list goes on and on. The definition cannot be restricted and if it is then I would hope it would be resisted. I believe that resistance is a 'natural' part of queer theory. By 'natural' I mean, it is inevitable that resistance will occur when discussion, rhetoric, theory and action revolve around making queer the norm. Example: my lip piercing. This little, little thing has cause big, big fuss when I go home. I try to explain that it is nothing and it is almost out of place on my face since it is my only piercing anywhere but that doesn't work. I think it doesn't work because some of my family members think I am 'pulling' away or pushing back. Somehow my piercing is threatening to their image of me and their perceived norm. I wasn't even thinking that my piercing would be queer and some spaces it is not (it can be quite boring and actually not enough) and in some spaces it is. I wonder how the 'other' side resist to the resisting being done by queer theory?

2. For my final wrap of queer I will refer back to my original thoughts about queer when I commented to Sara's blog:
Queer is the ability to rest in the gray area, the margin, the in between, the borderland and be okay with it. I think that is how the other comments are explaining it as well but in different ways. Queer lends itself to life of hardship, lack of acceptance, oppression and being outcasts. Queer is not stagnant, it does just rest in one place. It is constantly moving and alluding all who try to find it. I mean, I don't think one goes out and searches for being queer or queer things. One becomes it and in the becoming realizes the queerness of it all...or maybe not.
My classmates really brought new and exciting definitions of queer. Now I look at beards, post-it notes, Annie, halloween costumes in a different way--in a queer way. So basically this part is a huge shout out to all my classmates or dare I say friends for inspiring, opening my mind and allowing me to queer things along side you.

3. Through tracking my term I was able to really develop an unique way to read. All things resistance related jumped out from the pages. I enjoyed this because it gave my readings more of a sense of purpose. Then being able to blog about just drove it into me more. I do not think it was a secret that I was not a big fan of blogging for class at the beginning of the semester. My reasoning was justified. Every class I had been in the past that used blogs, used them in a way that just made sure that students were reading and really there was no engagement with them. It felt tedious and parental. This blog however did not. Well, to be honest at the beginning it did but as the semester went on it got better. Part of the reason it got better had to do with two things: connection and trust. We started to get excited about it and people talked about it in class. I could actually tell people were reading it and engaging with it and that made me want to write more. Trust is important element to blogging... especially when it is a community blog and is being graded. I had to trust Sara that my streamed thoughts would be 'okay' and they didn't have to be all academic and stuff. :-) I really started to care about the blog too... I wanted to engage with other entries because I wanted to add to the body of work. We had really good things to say and I hope 'animalcoloringpages' comes back to visit again.

I think you make an important point in your discussion of resistance in relation to your lip piercing: the context helped to shape the power and affect/effects of your resistance. In certain spaces, like at "home," it is read as too much resistance. In other spaces--where?--it is read as too little resistance. It seems important to attend to the specific location/spaces where resistance is possible. It makes me wonder: Are there certain spaces where resistance is more likely to happen or be effective? Or more likely to be recognized as such? What sorts of resistance are possible within the classroom space? All of this also makes me wonder: are there times when the visibility or invisibility really matters to how effective (and transformative) resistance is? When is it important to be very visible with resistance (to boldly reject/refuse) and when is it important to offer less visible (maybe silent?) forms of resistance?

I agree with you about learning a lot from fellow bloggers. I have enjoyed (mostly as a lurker) the amazing insights from you and the other members of queering theory this semester. You have inspired and energized me with your creativity and thoughtfulness!

I also agree with your desire for animal coloring pages to return. It just doesn't seem like a proper goodbye to the semester without them.