Recently in Announcements, Events, etc Category

A Selection of Found Mostly Academic/Activist Bloggers

As promised, here are some of the blogs I've taken extra notice of this semester:

First, here's a neat listing of "Gender Studies Blogs."

Blac (k) ademic
Kortney Ryan Ziegler, director of STILL BLACK: a portrait of black transmen
Self-described: "i am a 27 year old filmmaker and doctoral student currently stationed in chicago."
*Kortney's blog hasn't been updated in over a year now, but browsing some of the categories can be fun. See especially "it happened again" and anything in feminism or pop culture (or both!).

One Tough vonCookie
Self-described: "I started this blog on another platform back in 2005 with the title "The Trials and Tribulations of a PhD Candidate"; I switched the title when people in my Department found out about the blog, and thus vonCookie was born. "One Tough vonCookie" is a travelogue of my adventures as student, teacher and human; the blog has taught me how to view life through extraordinary lenses. I have discovered, there are miracles in the mundane annoyances of our quotidian existence, and that's what I'm here to point out. That, and also why Tony Danza sucks so hardcore."
vonCookie works in Spanish (blogs in English), and entertains some pretty long posts about the writing process. I read just a couple, and they're intriguing in relation to our talks about how we read.

"Long Distance Mom" by Elizabeth Coffman
Self-described: "Elizabeth Coffman is a documentary filmmaker and film scholar. She's published work in Camera Obscura, Journal of Film & Video and other places. Her film work has been broadcast and screened at festivals in Europe and the U.S. Elizabeth maintains messy homes in Chicago and in Tampa, where her two children live with their father during the week, and stay with her on the weekends. Elizabeth and her filmmaking partner have a media production company--Long Distance Productions."
I really like Elizabeth's recent post on "Airports and Non-Places" and what first caught me was this post on "Heartbreak and Radicalism." The whole "Mama PhD" thing might be a little... uh... whatever. I kind of like it.

Bitch Ph.D
Self-described: "This is, obviously, a feminist site; it is also leftist and, in the end, a personal site as well. If feminism pisses you off, or (after reading a couple of posts) you decide that I have my head irretrievably up my ass, it's pretty easy to go away and read something else, and that's what I expect you to do."
I recently enjoyed this bit I found on wonder and the TV show Weeds. For way more in-depth and "relevant" reading, check out "Am I a Big Ol' Queer?"Perhaps I really have a thing for radical moms who blog (or deal).

cripchick
Self-described: "cripchick is a queer disabled corean-american living and loving in the south. she is a big fan of media making, youth organizing, radical women of color feminism, and being in community with you. she is a proud member of the disabled young people's collective in north carolina & wants to get to know more liberation-oriented folks."
Check out "i feel queer today" for the discussion of writing (comments included).

This is getting lengthy! Woo! Just two more!

FATTYPATTIES
Pattie Thomas, author of Taking Up Space
Health at Every Size!

Maybe three more, because Pattie also links to Queer Fat Femme. Yeah!

Living in Liminal Space
Self-described: "I'm doing a PhD about doing a PhD and this blog is part of my data."
Isn't that description enough?

Phew. That was a "nice" celebration of being finished with my three GWSS courses for the semester. Thanks for reading.

A blog you might find interesting...

Before I forget, here is Lauren Berlant's blog that I mentioned in class today. There is some great stuff here--I was particularly moved by this entry--Do you intend to die (IV)?--in light of our discussions about children and their agency.

Help Plan a Queer Students of Color Conversations Series

I just received information about this in an email from Anne Phibbs. Please note that while
everyone is welcome, the voices of students of color will be prioritized.

* Help Plan a Queer Students of Color Conversations Series Starting in
Spring 2010
*

We are asking for your help to conceive & plan a series of open discussions led by queer students of color focused on exploring the experiences of people of color on campus around issues of race, culture, gender and sexuality.

Please join us on Tues, Dec 15 at 4:00 PM for the first planning meeting for this series, which we hope will launch in Spring 2010. Pizza, snacks and drinks will be served. Please invite anyone whose voice should be heard as we plan these essential discussions! More planning meetings will be convened in the early spring.

We hope to use what comes out of these discussions to build community, take action, and change campus climate. Everyone is welcome at these discussions, but the voices of people of color will be prioritized.

QPOC Conversations Series Planning Meeting
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
4:00-6:00 PM
Coffman Union 303
* Pizza, snacks and drinks will be served!

Thank you,
Cortez Riley, Shawyn Lee, Anne Phibbs and Ross Neely

5th Annual Queer People of Color Conference

FYI: Here is the QPOCC Call for Proposals for a great conference coming up this spring.

The Queer Child: Some Sources

In case you are interested, I just posted an entry on my trouble blog about the queer child. Check it out!

My talk on troublemaking

Hi all,

Sorry about the last minute notice, but I am presenting this Monday on Butler and troublemaking. I would love to see you all there!

puotinen.jpg

Minneapolis Premiere of Straightlaced

For everyone interested I just saw the details on this Monday, November 16th screening, so here's the link to the event site.

Class until 7:25 pm will likely keep me from attending, but I hope someone can make it and maybe share a little with the rest of the group!

YOU'RE INVITED!

Monday Evening
November 16th
Minneapolis Institute of Arts
2400 Third Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55404

6:30pm VIP Reception
with Director Debra Chasnoff & Screening ($50)

7:30pm Screening

General Admission ($15)
Educator/Student ($8)

Q & A with Academy Award Winning Director, Debra Chasnoff

Who's Queer? Whose Queer?

Questions such as ours are absolutely everywhere right now. Take, for example, this event notice that just came across my inbox:

The Eighth Annual Women's Studies Student Conference presents as this year's theme: Who's Queer? Whose Queer?

Here's the C A L L F O R S U B M I S S I O N S:

How do we understand queer? Whose definitions of "queer" matter? Is there a place for queerness in feminism and/or Women's Studies? Moreover, what are the implications of queering or *not* queering feminist inquiry?

We invite students (both graduate and undergraduate from all disciplines and colleges), as well as activists and artists, to submit proposals for papers, film, music, art, live performance, and other creative and critical works.

We especially encourage analyses that address through a queer and feminist lens the intersections of gender, race, class, (trans)nationality, (dis)ability, and sexuality.

Topics may include, but are not limited to:

• Personal vs. group identities.
• Queer productions of knowledge.
• Queer readings of current events and pop culture (e.g. the late Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, Caster Semanya, etc.).
• Queer bodies and embodiment.
• Queer politics and politicians.
• Queer media and art.
• Queer histories.
• Taboos and deviance.
• Globalizing queerness.

Please submit 200-word abstracts briefly describing your work to wstudent@albany.edu no later than Friday, October 30, 2009.

Abstracts describing film and live performances should indicate the project's running time (image or digital files of media projects may also be submitted as e-mail attachments or through a URL if presented on the web). You may use the same e-mail address to send us any inquiries.

For more information, please visit our website:
http://www.albany.edu/wstudent_conference/

This year's conference will be held on December 4, 2009, in Humanities 354 on the uptown campus of the University at Albany, SUNY.

I might just submit something-- I'm actually working now on the thesis and key points for my final in Feminist Thought & Theory, which, thanks to joint inspiration from Sara and Katie Bashore, hopes to address "The Possibility of Gender Studies" in dialogue with two essays some of you may be familiar with...

Wendy Brown's* The Impossibility of Women's Studies (in Women's Studies on the Edge)wsote.jpg

Robyn Wiegman's The Possibility of Women's Studies (in Women's Studies for the Future)wsftf.jpg

The questions in the above call for submissions now have me reeling. Can anyone else tell me why I'm querying Gender Studies instead of Queer Studies? I've got my ideas, but I want to know your thoughts!

*Gossip courtesy of Katie Bashore: Wendy Brown is Judith Butler's partner.

Intern Opportunity

I just received this notice:

Student Work-Study Intern Positions Open in GLBTA Programs Office

The GLBTA Programs Office is currently hiring two undergraduate Student Interns for 2009-10. The responsibilities of these fun, flexible positions include communications, outreach, clerical duties, and assistance with planning and delivery of programs/events. Requirements include having work-study funds, the ability to work 8-12 hrs/week, strong communication and multi-tasking skills, and a commitment to working on GLBTA issues within an intersectional social justice framework. Download full job description (Word file).

If you are interested, please send: 1) cover letter expressing your interest in the position and the office, 2) current resume, and 3) your semester work availability to neely010@umn.edu or 46 Appleby Hall. Questions about the position should be directed to Ross Neely at 612-626-3064. Interviews begin the week of Sept 21 and will continue until position is hired in early October. Please spread the word!

Check this out (and information about other events, etc) at the GLBTA office website