« Last Blog of Class | Main | »

last blog

I came to this class to fill electives, thinking that it would be easy. Then, the first class hit and I realized the flood of knowledge that I had just unleashed upon myself and I was scared. I had never taken a class like this and was unaware of the widespread issues that influence feminists today, but the more I learned about it, the more interested I became. After reading “the Dark Side of Birth Control” and “Race, Birth Control, and Reproduction” my opinion of feminism totally changed, although I still felt awkward speaking up in discussion. (Participation points defiantly influenced the amount of times I had something, anything, to say) I think that the most important things for next year’s students to remember are that during this class, you will have to think long and hard about the way that you live your life and how it effects other people, and don’t forget to do the blogs, because I know that was probably the toughest part for me. Blogging was an important part of the class, because it forced me to think and form an opinion before class time, but it was always hard to fit them into my schedule, and more often than not, I would be sitting down to dinner, or getting ready for bed and I would think “OH MY GOD, I DIDN’T DO MY BLOG!!!!”

Unlike Abby, I took this class because GWSS is my minor. I declared the department as my minor last semester because I have thoroughly enjoyed every GWSS class I've taken. I find the discussions extremely thought-provoking and relevant to life as a young citizen and consumer of American culture. This class in particular was mapped out very well; I felt like the way the sections were broken up by categories of feminist debates allowed the class to touch on several contentious issues. The amount of time we spent on each section allowed decent breadth of discussion on each issue as well as enough issues discussed to keep the attention of the students throughout the semester. Also, like Abby, I advise future students to keep up with the blogs. Although I personally had a difficult time keeping up with the blogs, I always enjoyed reading and writing them. It was a great place to share thoughts about the readings and issues (anonymously, if chosen) and discuss with other students, especially for those of us who have a harder time speaking up in class. But again, I really enjoyed this class and I would definitely recommend it to anyone interested in GWSS courses.