Reponse to Abby.

It is probably too late to add my two cents, but I thought I would reply to Abby's comment about having experienced GWSS people in the class and say that for my part, I was grateful to have people new to GWSS. It was interesting to watch people who had never thought about the nuances of the debates over prostitution or stay-at-home moms realize the repercussions of these subjects. I remember encountering these ideas in my first GWSS class and how it changed my outlook. I went on to be a GWSS major and I think it would be awesome if someone went on to take more GWSS classes because of this semester. I thought we had a good balance of debate. Someone was always ready to add a comment from another side of a debate or help the class move past a commonly held assumption to look deeper. I thought the variety of readings was especially helpful because we had chances to encounter the densest of writers (Butler and Dworkin) and authors who were able to reach out of academia and draw everyone in. I think the films were also helpful to tie many topics together. Although there was no official media review part of this course I found the times the class spontaneously brought the discussion around to media treatment of women, commercial and ad analysis and television show commentary were some of our most interesting discussions. Maybe that would be a fun component to add to the blog next semester. It is fun to analyze the way media interacts with feminist debates.

11

Hmmm. Reflections.

Well, this was my first and only GWSS course so I’m glad it was a good one. I appreciated a lot of the conversation we had in class; I thought the course was organized well— the topics were diverse and very applicable. Some of the readings really shook me up in a good way (Butler, Williams, and Henry to name a few). It was pretty rad to have experienced GWSS folks in class, and just thoughtful people in general. Mostly it was just a joy to take a class purely out of curiosity and have it turn out to be a good time. That is kind of rare.

Advice to future classes: Read. Blog. And get into a good group because that makes things a blast.

Last Blog of Class

Continue reading "Last Blog of Class" »

Reflection

There I was, one of two males in the class. It felt like there were 40 females versus the two guys. I had no idea as of what to think. I quickly read the introduction to the bell hooks book before class was starting and was greatly pleased. It took me a few weeks to get my feet wet into the discussion, but soon enough my debate and talkative personality came out. I think that this would be my lesson to anyone else taking this class... don't feel rushed to share. Take some times to reflect and separate the knowledge you have about what you have been taught, what else you have heard, and what we are reading/discussing about.

Throughout this semester I have learned that feminism is much more political and that I have many more opinions about it then I have ever thought. Feminists are not all one cohesive group, but they do have similar goals. An example to this can be what we discussed about last class. Feminists believe that women in the adult sex industry have the rite/choice to hold those occupations, however at the same time some may believe that all of the sex industry in degrading to women and should be abolished. This type of differences make these issues worth talking about and discussing in this class.

Overall, I am very pleased that I was asked to join this class by a friend and have learn a lot from all of the intelligent people in this class.

We are not all the same, but we all need to be treated equally.
We do not have the same abilities, but we all need to be given the opportunity.
We are not all accepted for our choice, but we all need the choice to make.
We do not hold the same positions, but we all need to be treated with respect.
We are not all treated fairly, but we all are standing with you in your fight.
We are sometimes just one, but we all need to work together.

blog 11

This course was a really great scope of feminist issues for all levels of understanding or experience. There were definitely some sections that I felt well-versed in, yet learned entirely new perspectives. At the same time, there were issues that I've had no experience in, but still felt comfortable learning. All of the readings provided really great support and comprehension, and generally the discussion brought things to an interesting level. I think, more than anything, I felt exposed to the many, many issues that make up feminism. It became clear that things like labor and racial justice are apart of feminism, and should not be separated. Just the same, while this sounds a little ridiculous, I had to break down my belief that some feminist issues are pretty one-sided ("either you believe this and you are a feminist, or you don't believe this and you are not"). Some of our readings and discussions brought entirely new depths of complications to feminist issues. The structure of the class was incredibly conducive to feeling comfortable in your own learning space. I also really loved the exposure to so many different writers/activists, and that there were constantly recommendations for further reading.
As far as advice for other students, I would say that this class is a really great opportunity to learn with other people but at the same time develop your own understanding of the many contentious issues in feminism. Obviously doing the readings and taking advantage of discussion is really key to this!

Blog #11

I went into this semester having taken no other GWSS class before and only knowing what the media has taught me about feminism. I learned that the media gives a very skewed vision of what feminism actually is. It is not a movement of man-hating like I was taught to believe. The feminist movement is about acceptance and freedom of choice; about ending sexism, racism, classism, and any other -ism that brings people down; about not judging people for the way they choose to live their lives. The class was a very good place to learn about feminism because of the atmosphere that was promoted. I felt like anyone could speak their mind and give their twist on what we were talking about, without having to worry about what other people would think. The debating was also influential because it helped you to really think about the issue and delve into it instead of just skimming the surface. I don't think that any particular reading stuck out as my favorite, but they all contributed to the class and I don't remember any that I did not like. The advice that I would give anyone taking this class in the future is to be open to other ways of thinking.

Blog #11

In this final blog, I would like you to reflect on the class and what you learned this semester. You could write about one of your favorite readings or how your understanding of feminism has been influenced by our discussions/readings/papers or whatever else you want to write about in relation to the class.

Also, I will be teaching this class again next spring. What advice would you give students who will be taking it then?