« Nine to Five | Main | Extra Credit- Lisa Simpson (cont'd) »

Extra Blog-Battle of the Sexes

A few weeks ago in class we were discussing the Womens Movement and the famous tennis match in 1973 between Billie Jean King and Bobby Riggs, dubbed 'The Battle of the Sexes'. I was going to comment unitl Sara stated that she was not born until the following year and I decided not to offer my thoughts at that point. Needing to do an extra blog, here goes.....I was 12 years old in 1973 and remember the tennis match well. In those days there were only 4 channels here in the Twin Cities; ABC, CBS, NBC, and an independent station. This game was played and televised live on one of the major networks during prime time in the evening. Our whole family gathered around the television for the big event. My dad was totally outnumbered being that my brother wasn't home at the time and many more females then males were in the house. Of course we women were rooting for Billie Jean big time. There was a lot of hype leading up to this match and Bobby Riggs was really shooting his mouth off prior to it. He was a tennis star during the 1940s and was in his mid 50s when he challenged Billie Jean who was at the top of her game at this time. She won easily and really shut him up. Bobby Riggs was known as being a male chauvinist pig and it was a huge triumph for women when she won. We all shared in her victory and it is something I will never forget.