« Fearless Filmmakers presents Fearless Females | Main | Reminder about readings for this week »

Central Corridor, local news

Hey everybody,

This doesn't have to do with class content but I found it interesting. I don't know if any of you have heard about the new Central Corridor project that was recently approved. The state wants to put a light rail line connecting St. paul to Minneaoplis. Sounds like a good idea, right? Well, I read an article in the Pioneer Press yesterdeay and found many problems with the idea. The line would run from the new Twins ballpark to Union Depot in St. Paul, with a six block chunk of the line along Washington Ave closed to traffic. For more info, see the article in the Pioneer Press at http://www.twincities.com/ci_8386089. Some "major issues" still have to be ironed out and these are most definitely major - streets being altered, parking eliminated, and maybe even closing the Washington Ave bridge to automobile traffic. I just wanted other opinions on the subject - I am not in favor of the idea; I think there are better things to spend our money on and lots of issues with this plan.

I'll always support public transit more than I support parking.

Hmmm...good point. But the parking is for University Ave businesses...where are people supposed to park? I know this is in the early stages of development, so hopefully they'll fix some of these problems.

It shouldn't go unrecognized though that there are issues that expand far beyond merely the infrastructure/expenses of the line.
Currently the community that would be the most affected by the LRT (which is largely lower-income people of color) is trying to organize and fight against having the LRT built. They are worried of thier neighborhoods being gentrified, in turn creating larger property taxes/expenses for the community. This would push a lot of the community members out (let's not forget Rondo when they build I-94). Unless the Met-Council implements a community-based, smart-development approach for how to deal with these other issues, the direct community will be marginalized. This is a huge issue that we need to understand further than how convenient it will be to get to St. Paul without having to drive.