Gender Failure Dogs

Yes, Party!

I would love to host the party, but how would we theme it as Judy?
It sounds like the weekend of May 2nd would work for most people, Friday, Saturday or Sunday would work for me, so think about it and let's decide on Wednesday.

party?

Post-in-class excitement is anyone still interested in having a JUDY themed party? Jenny said she could host it if people still feel like this is feasible in the last two weeks of the semester. Is anyone still really into this idea? I know this time of year is super crazy.

Presentation on identity politics and radical democracy

As promised, here is the presentation that I gave at NWSA in 2004. While my thinking has changed a little, this paper might still be helpful in thinking about Butler's shift away from identity politics and towards radical democracy.

???

Hey friends. I just stumbled across this video of some Wal-Mart CEOs in drag (and not in a subversive way, I think): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/09/video-of-wal-mart-execs-i_n_95876.html (take note of the accompanying music). I think this is interesting in terms of the way race, gender, and class privileges have all come into play here. Also, I was talking to my roommate about one of her friends who has been trying to get a sex change surgery, but I guess he mentioned at some point that he'd felt like a man all his life, so his insurance company called it a pre-existing condition and won't cover his surgery. So I guess I would say that governmental protections for transgendered and transsexual people aren't effective, even in Minnesota, if they're so easily circumvented.

Synonyms for "weaker"

This is apparently not a joke...

http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/weaker

Freaks and Geeks

Here is the lovely clip from Freaks and Geeks. ENJOY!

The Eddie Izzard Commentary on the Judith Butler paradigm

I came across this article titled "The Eddie Izzard Commentary on the Judith Butler paradigm". It seems to touch upon several of the issues we were discussing tonight. What do you all think?

Possible paper topics…

Here are some ideas for your queering gender short essays.

Continue reading "Possible paper topics…" »

Cool website

This website, Sociological Images: Seeing is Believing, is really interesting and could relate to a lot of GWSS classes. I saw there was one transgender tag and I watched it, which was a discussion on The View about playing dress up and how the policing of what clothes kids can wear could affect transgender (and not transgender) kids. I would be interested to hear what other people think about it.

Revised syllabus

As promised, here is the revised syllabus.

Minnesota's 1st All-Girl School

If anyone was interested in the single-sex ed article, here is a short piece at MPR about a new all-girl school that plans to open soon. On MPR there is also a link to the school's website.
Kaitlin

Show and Tell!

Sorry for the delay, I've been having problems with the blog site.

Jenny's icebreaker question really interested me and I'd like to do an extension of that.

For Wednesday, March 26th, please bring in an article of clothing, accessory, or object that you feel says something about you. You can talk about it, or just let the visual say everything you want it to. If you don't bring anything in, you can try and describe something that "reflects" something about you, but visuals are always better and I love show and tell. There are no restrictions on what you can bring in...it can be something you bought, something you made, something someone gave you...the idea is that you feel connected to the object because you think it "represents" "you" or reveals something hidden about you that may not be readily apparent.

:) I look forward to class next week! Hope everyone is enjoying their break!

BeyondMarriage

Hi All,

While considering my final project--which I plan to do on queering the idea of kinship--I was reminded of this article that was written a couple years ago...and thanks to Sara for reminding me I can post things on the blog! Beyondmarriage.org was created by a group of people who are often considered to be leaders withing the LGBT activist community who felt that the movement was possibly hurting itself by focusing so much attention upon just gaining access to existing hetero marriage rights. It outlines a philosophy that has been engaged by some activists since 2006, and, to me, it seems to be influenced somewhat by the sort of theory we've been reading in class. I'd appreciate any ideas everyone has about what the site advocates.

Kaitlin

What are the implications of single-sex education for trans kids?

Check out this article on single-sex education at a elementary school in Alabama. What are the implications of this policy for kids who, in Butler-speak, are culturally unintelligible and repeatedly fail to inhabit their "proper" gender roles?