« News from Yesterday's Class (10/22) | Main | Class notes 10-16 »

Pedagogical question of the day.

Pedagogical question of the day.
Notes taked by Teresa

When personal experience comes out in the class, how do we know it is relevant? Has it to be first examined to become a good pedagogical experience?

-When students read literature in class and say: “I have no connection with these characters�. That is a limited response, a limited experience, a narrow view and it doesn’t help. It needs some teacher intervention.

-When identification with the experience presented doesn’t fit with the material, it is not relevant. Teacher wants students to engage with the text.

-It is necessary to filter the information through your own experience. For instance, Gloria Anzaldúa’s experiences: what kind of experience you need to match the experiences presented in the reading? Sometimes experience has to do with how we handle it.

-Include Orner reading in this question: Do teachers oppress with some texts? Because I have to dismiss some experience that seems irrelevant, is my action authoritarian?
Do teachers have to explain what a relevant experience is? I don’t think this works.

- Experience has to be critically expressed.

-Do we accept expected responses only? The problem is that students are not “getting it� and therefore teachers had to explain. However, who I am to question their voice?

- Do we have to engage with experience?
- Does theory withstand experience? How does theory look in the classroom?

- Read some assumption to students, make students contest these assumptions. Students will take their experiences to challenge those assumptions. We operate over the assumption that racism, sexism exists, and then go on.

-About voice: I question what Orner says in p. 81
Experience is constantly changing. Is the teacher silencing or oppressing that changing reality?

-Voices are not only about students. It is also to acknowledge critical interrogation of your own voice. Recognizing that you are part of this experience.

-Students bring different voices.

-How do you make explicit all this at the beginning of a course?

-Your voice: confessing. Pedagogy involves being honestly up front.

-Teacher is in power position and power is a consequence of discourse-knowledge.

-Do Sorkin and Orner contradict or complement each other about experience? I think reflexion is needed instead of raw experience.

-To understand oppression more clearly, it has to be linked with experience.

- Who owns experiences? We own ours. But individual experience is not only about us.

-Connecting your own experience with the bigger picture, the social factor and connect them (all experiences).

- Sociological point of view looks at the greater experience of most people.