Follow up post 2 to Diablog

So, upon looking at the readings again, I noticed something interesting about the Wilchins reading. In the article, Wilchins points out that science focusing on similarities between sexes is a lot harder, if not impossible to get funding for than science focusing on the differences.

This reminded me of something called publication bias in science, or the file drawer effect. Basically, results that are negative or insignificant have a lot harder time getting published in journals, even when the science is solid, when compared to articles that may not be as well performed, but show a new or interesting result. This made me think that there may be a connection between this effect and the lack of funding for studies on the similarities between genders.

Is this part of the problem of the problem Wilchins describes, or is there another reason that studies that look at the similarity between genders are seldom given grants? What does it imply if this is the cause behind the difficulty in obtaining grants?

I agree, I think it is absolutely ridiculous that more information and research does not look at the similarities between the male and female. And I also agree with the question about the grant money being difficult to obtain. Is it simply that men or women do not want to be compared to the other in the first place? I mean in our social sphere it is looked at negatively if a male has multiple feminine qualities, and it is also "demeaning" to a guy if a girl can lift more or be more masculine then them, so is it just a questions of us not wanting to prove the similarities? Even though they are right in front of us?

I see your point and I have felt the same way upon reading the article. The interest factor does of course come into play when comparing the two sexes, but at the same time, this difference found within the science community tends to keep the gender stereotypes in place. In other words, it seems enable the stereotypes to remain rather than assist in the change that many people desire. Is it really that BIG of a ripple if we find similarities between the sexes versus differences?

The last part of your question does raise a good point. Given the state of how society views sex and what they consider normal by male terms and female terms, I believe that if similarities were made to be as big of a deal as differences are, then it will indeed cause some problems for people. Most people openly seem to be in the middle when it comes to the discussion of sex and gender roles, but in the back of our minds, we tend to know exactly what is "suppose" to be masculine versus what is "suppose" to be feminine. And it seems that when we do see behavior that violate this norm, we keep it to ourselves in the back of our minds.