What sex got to do with work out shoes?

This is this year's superbowl commercial of Skecher shape up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQWG__N9so0 The model is Kim Kardashian and this has been known as a scandalous ad before airing. The first few seconds of commercial can be seen as sexual intercourse, and the ad excessively highlights shape of woman's body parts. For me, it doesn't seem like trying to sell their shoes but rather overly emphasizes sexual image of women just to draw audiences' attention.

Although it would have been nice to have watched the clip right here on the blog, I appreciate the url. I would have to agree with the fact that the advertisement doesn't really live up to its name as an ad for a product; it seems more like something you'd find on late night Cinemax. What blows me away is the extent that the ad goes to in terms of sex appeal vs product placement. The entire clip is only 31 seconds long, and the actual product being sold - sneakers - doesn't appear on screen until around second 22; the rest of the time is filled with Kardashian's nether bits. Roughly 2/3 of the commercial has a viewer seeing something that is not even related to the product being sold! In plain terms, this ad is a blatant example of "sex sells;" there is nothing else to this ad except for the shoes and Kardashian's sexy body. It was like the creative team thought "we need to show every side of Kardashian's ass in order for the product to sell." In all honesty if it weren't for the title of the video, I would have assumed that the ad was for an ED medication. The commercial has no redeeming value, and just makes me feel like I need to take a shower after viewing.

I'm glad somebody posted this! I thought it was one of the most ridiculous commercials in this year's Super Bowl, and was wanting to post it myself. I thought it was somewhat humorous that Sketchers attempted to use Kim Kardashian's sex appeal to promote their new line of "shape-up" shoes. At first, I was intrigued by the sexy figure working out wearing next to nothing and making sexual innuendoes, but was completely thrown off guard when it turned out to be a shoe commercial. There was no relevance what so ever! I guess it goes to show that companies really do focus on the idea that "sex sells", regardless of whether or not "sex" compliments their product. I also think it's a good example of how ridiculous American consumerism has become, especially when you compare sexual morals to what they were like in the earlier 1900's.

I'm glad I was forewarned before I watched this commercial! I had zero desire to buy or use Sketchers Shape-Ups before seeing this commercial, but now I'm just disgusted, and completely put-off by the product. Not only does the commercial make blatant sexual references, but it promotes the idea that there is a fix-all product to give women this toned, fit body, and that personal trainers can be replaced by workout shoes. If you think about it, Kim Kardashian was supposedly "working out" with this male trainer while wearing these workout shoes, so there's a mixed message as to where the credit goes as far as her toned body. I doubt the credit goes to the shoes.